This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Travel Insurance
Has anyone got any tips for insuring a camera on holiday?  I can only find insurance quotes that cover individual items up to £300 and the camera is worth over double that including lenses  Sad

Mashley - would you be able to tailor a quote for me?  If so I'll PM details

I've been searching all afternoon and its driving me nuts  Big Grin

Thanks all
"pittgoat" Wrote:Has anyone got any tips for insuring a camera on holiday?  I can only find insurance quotes that cover individual items up to £300 and the camera is worth over double that including lenses  Sad

Mashley - would you be able to tailor a quote for me?  If so I'll PM details

I've been searching all afternoon and its driving me nuts  Big Grin

Thanks all

Yes. Check your home contents policy.  If you have cover for items away from the home this will most likely be worldwide cover. At that value you may not even need to specify it.
"Blackers" Wrote:Yes. Check your home contents policy.  If you have cover for items away from the home this will most likely be worldwide cover. At that value you may not even need to specify it.

Aha - thanks for that.  I had hoped it might be covered but thought that might be wishful thinking.  As my policy is under a pile of stuff in the bike room while the plastering is done I hadn't yet checked it.

Now I need to sort out cover for my back.  Apparently if I don't declare it the cover will be invalid but I don't want to pay extra to cover it as its fixed now.  Pah!  A few calls will be in order tomorrow
I'll keep on eye on this thread, going to Morrocco in late Feb, golfing, so looking for cover for clubs, camera etc.

I guess I should also look for cover for myself...........
"pittgoat" Wrote:Aha - thanks for that.  I had hoped it might be covered but thought that might be wishful thinking.  As my policy is under a pile of stuff in the bike room while the plastering is done I hadn't yet checked it.

Now I need to sort out cover for my back.  Apparently if I don't declare it the cover will be invalid but I don't want to pay extra to cover it as its fixed now.  Pah!  A few calls will be in order tomorrow

Give me a shout if you need to.
Regarding the back,  you will probably have to pay an additional amount anyway. Thats how it works with most including Ash's lot. If you have been hospitalised within a certain period it rings alarm bells. Its probably a small price to pay for the peace of mind though. We paid about 250 over the standard premium for our big trip just to insure our backs! I paid it willingly. Which reminds me that i need to get our insurance sorted.... Will email you Ash.
Ditto what Mark says Nick, you will have to pay extra for your back if you want it covered as it's such a recent condition.

With regards to you camera you house policy is going to be your best bet. As you've found most travel policies will only cover small amounts. We don't offer a top up option either. The risks outweigh the commercial benefit.

Ben - golf clubs will be covered if you buy a golf top up cover that will cover your green fee's if you get injured or fall ill and can't play etc. However, you clubs will only be covered if their less than five years old and are not covered for new for old.

I love insurance  :'(
"mashley" Wrote:Ben - golf clubs will be covered if you buy a golf top up cover that will cover your green fee's if you get injured or fall ill and can't play etc. However, you clubs will only be covered if their less than five years old and are not covered for new for old.

I love insurance  :'(

This lot do golf club cover but its really expensive Golfplan

They do pay out though, glad I paid as I had my all my kit pinched in Portugal, thanks to a couple of mates I got a £1500 payout. That included clubs, water proofs, bag etc etc all stolen from our villa on a private gated estate ??)
Here is my usual reminder to safeguard the reputation of the insurance industry (where's Sofa Monkey? He has usually ranted  by now!)...

Always read the policy. When it comes to insuring items away from the home the policy will always have certain conditions that you really need to know beforehand.

I love insurance  :'( :'(
Mark, Ash - what I'm hoping is that I can get away with excluding my back from the policy as I don't want to insure for it.  That said I'll check the extra as for a tenner or so its not worth worrying about
I would think twice about that. If something were to go wrong with your back you could well be faced with some very expensive medical bills as well as costs related to things like repatriation. How much does an MRI cost? About £800 I think! Thats the first thing a foreign hospital will want to do if you present with back pain. They may also exclude back issues as a whole rather than just issues related to your surgery. If you are not covered for back issues you will have that in the back of your mind the whole time too. Peace of mind has a price and I reckon its a lot more than £10!