This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTD: Half Decent Road Bike (Large-ish)
Hey-lo...

Just beginning my hunt for a road bike to begin commuting on mid march - so got some time yet.

I thought I would post this up incase someone knew someone who may be selling etc etc?

To give you an idea of what I'm after I have been eyeing up a couple of boardmans, like the team and team carbon... so ideally spending £500-800.

After the joy of carbon trail bars, I can only imagine what a full carbon road bike must feel like!  8)

So if anyone has any ideas, or anything for sale, suggestions, or knows someone who may or is selling, post up!  Smile

Ta!
Boardman team carbon is brilliant.... well, my one is!
Yeah a Lycra lovey friend at work has one and he says it climbs just awesomely! Even over his old alloy racer. They do tend to pop up on eBay quite a bit, and I'm really hopeing there will be lots of people who went out and bought them on a whim during the tour (especially as they sponsored the tv coverage!)  Wink
Trawling for bike bits on fleabay, saw this and thought of you

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chris-boardman-road-bike-Comp-XL-only-done-40mls-/270893847738?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f128814ba#ht_500wt_922">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chris-boardma ... _500wt_922</a><!-- m -->
Cheers Si, I'll keep an eye on it.

I have noticed wthe the boardmans that the comp models (the lowest spec ones) hold their value much better - I'm guessing because people go out and buy the cheapest model and they get bid up. My Hybrid comp was 320(ish) second hand 2 years ago and they are still fetching 280(ish) on eBay now...  However the upper models obviously aren't so sought after my so many people so tend to work out better value for money second hand - If you have the money to spend. weird.  
Silly question, why are you not using your hybrid to commute on? Must be perfect for the job?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Nah, fair comment.

A few reasons - a) It's kinda heavy (just shy of 12kg) compared to a 8kg roadie. b)the wheels need new bearings and mainly c) I just find the upright posistion a bit inconvient for a 12/13 miles a-road slog. I want to be able to tuck in and just pedal away... Will hopefully make my life a bit easier and mean I don't turn up to work a sweaty mess  Wink
GeneralSparks commutes in on his Spesh MTB everyday a similar distance with some slicks on and manages sub hour times. Be a lot cheaper and more convenient for you. Perhaps some skinnier tyres and repair the wheels, saving pennies for Heckler bling...?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
I commute 3 miles each day in the car, that doesnt have slicks yet easily does sub 1hr with minimal effort
&quot;Breezer&quot; Wrote:I commute 3 miles each day in the car, that doesnt have slicks yet easily does sub 1hr with minimal effort

Perhaps this is why you have XXL size shorts?