This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few issues with bike. Headset and wheels. Service
Hi all

Lookin to come on a few meets with a mate but first off, for the winter, I have aces problems I need to sort with my bike first.

I'll start with the wheels. Basically they are standard wheels. No idea of make. But I basically want to take em apart and service them. Maybe grease them up ect. But basically I have no clue so any tips or a walk through would be great.  There is nothing wrong with them but I want to give them a bit of a service.

Secondly my headset. Now this is very stiff and when I got the bike if was loose so I just tightened it up. Now I guess this will also need to come off and grease round the bearings ect. Basically when I hold bike n the air the bars don't spin and are very stiff.

Any help is much appreciated and will look forward to a few rides

Btw it's a careera banshee. If anyone asks.

Thanks
Take a look at Park Tools webbie
There's loads of useful info and how-to's, some with pics and most of your serviceing Q's are shown right there.
If you're still not sure about any of it, come back and someone will prolly be able to explain

Good luck ;D
Thanks for the quick reply and that's a great website. Thanks.

When taking the hubs apart and when putting them together do I need to worry about aligning the wheel so it sits true or will it just all slot together sort of thing? Hope that makes sense
"camelbakgang" Wrote:Thanks for the quick reply and that's a great website. Thanks.

When taking the hubs apart and when putting them together do I need to worry about aligning the wheel so it sits true or will it just all slot together sort of thing? Hope that makes sense

Provided you do as the website tells you there'll be no alignment issues at all.
In essence you'll only take one cone off the axle, on the rear wheel it'll be the non drive side.  As that cone stays in the right place it'll all go back together where it was.  Don't expect it to feel smooth when you're done though.  It takes practice to get the "feel" right & older wheels often feel very notchy when you're done, but they'll bed in with a bit of use.

With the headset it's important you understand how the adjustment works.  I guess you have an A-Head system - that is the fork steerer come right through the frame & the stem clamps around it & you then have a cap with a single bolt through it.

The bolt on top is the headset adjustment, but you cannot use it until you have loosened the two bolts on the side of the stem.
It's a common mistake to keep tightening this bolt without loosening the stem & wondering why the problem doesn't go away.
Hi. To do the headset I undo the stem then undo the top tight. Then tighten the stem back up. But it's still stiff so I guess it needs grease to make it more smooth?
"camelbakgang" Wrote:Hi. To do the headset I undo the stem then undo the top tight. Then tighten the stem back up. But it's still stiff so I guess it needs grease to make it more smooth?

Maybe a typo in there Undecided
Do not just tighten the top bolt.  It's just for taking up slack & applying preload.  It should be just tight enough that you feel resistanace & there's no play in the head set, no tighter.
If you undo it & then tighten, you'll feel what I mean.

If you can't make it any looser then you either need to disassemble the headset, service & assemble, as you say adding grease OR the cartridge bearings need replacing - depends on the type of headset you have.  You won't know until  you take it to bits Wink