This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Mac Laptop
I'm no tech geek at all, as you all know. If I wanted to get as much info of my laptop as I could, i.e work emails, files etc, nothing illiegal, just stuff that Id want to keep if I ever left, how could I go about it?
Ask your work IT dept? I would imagine there is some sort of data protection policy surrounding work emails though?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
maybe just email address then, people i may want to contact in the near future. without having to ask my IT for anything.
you can get a 'time machine' thing for a mac but they are very expensive. Worth it i guess if you have stuff you absolutely wouldnt want to loose.
Pen and paper?
"mashley" Wrote:maybe just email address then, people i may want to contact in the near future. without having to ask my IT for anything.

If its just email addresses you could just copy and paste, then email them to your personal address? If you only have a few files then save to a USB stick or similar.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Most email programs, and many webmails programs, allow you to export your address book at a .CSV file, or comma separated values.  This can be opened in Excel or reimported to another program.  However, I don't know if it will work with a corporate address book stored on a server, rather than on a file locally.
An external HDD and copy everything over? I know this method will cost you money but you should have one anyway to back everything up.
I use time machine with my Mac. It wasn't that expensive, just needs to be equivalent storage size to your internal hard drive. Backs everything up every 10 minutes or so automatically. Wouldn't be without it as losing everything would be pretty devastating.