This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Needed everyday, commuter general bike needed
As you know I don't drive now so I need a bike that I'll use for going to town, going to Tesco, sometimes riding the work (8 miles rural roads) or riding to the station (3 miles) then to the office at the other end (1.5 miles).

I'm thinking a MTB hardtail with slicks/semi slicks? Some travel up front so I could potentially use it off road?

I've been thinking about selling the Enduro which is now going to be a definite! FS thread going up tonight here and on STW!

My cash is limited so really about £300 would be about right. Or should I spend more get a proper nice HT that I could use for XC up Kings Wood etc in the long term?

Or as Im a charity case could we, i.e. you lot, donate parts to build me a bike Wink

Your collective thoughts, as always, are appreciated!
Cant believe no one got an opinion?  Undecided
I always have an opinion on everything...

If you are going on the train you will need to check you can firstly take the bike on it and you may need to book the place or something? If this is going to be a hassle then a folding bike may be better, speak to Buzz for advice

If above not an issue then yes a HT with slicks would be fine, I ride on the road with mud tyres, its ok, slicks quicker, should be able to get something ok for £300 or a bit more, jsut remember that it probably wont be up to chucking it off jumps etc!

Could get something a bit stronger, 16" Trailstar or something beefy like that, will be heavier for normal riding although ok still with slicks but then means you can abuse it a bit if you do go off road
"Breezer" Wrote:I always have an opinion on everything...

If you are going on the train you will need to check you can firstly take the bike on it and you may need to book the place or something? If this is going to be a hassle then a folding bike may be better, speak to Buzz for advice

If above not an issue then yes a HT with slicks would be fine, I ride on the road with mud tyres, its ok, slicks quicker, should be able to get something ok for £300 or a bit more, jsut remember that it probably wont be up to chucking it off jumps etc!

Could get something a bit stronger, 16" Trailstar or something beefy like that, will be heavier for normal riding although ok still with slicks but then means you can abuse it a bit if you do go off road

The train is only 10 mins and has bike carriages as it's a normal train not the high speed jobbie. MTB with slicks will prob be best bet but the thought of a light slicked hybrid sounds like fun for bombing around town.
Sorry. I misplaced my 29er drum, but ive found it now...

Islabikes are now doing this Adult 29er, and applying their common sense approach to cheap bikes...i.e. no heavy cheap suspension and no expensive disc brakes. But you can add these yourself at a later date of course. £400 and I think it weighs around 26lb and even comes with semi slicks. It's been "JimmySailorReload" proofed too as you can see. It got a stonking review in a mag last month...WMB I think.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29.html

resim
Thats almost a life size picture too. How do I resize?
"Blackers" Wrote:Thats almost a life size picture too. How do I resize?

I just put the laptop between my legs and too it for a test drive  Big Grin

I got excited when I saw customise your bike, clicked the link and got taken to this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29/beinn29-customise.html">http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/b ... omise.html</a><!-- m --> I imagined fox 40's and a dropper seat post.
I do like the look of that though but I think I should have something a bit beefier so that If the feeling took over I could nip up KW or Bedge and thrash it round a bit, not sure I could on that.
&quot;mashley&quot; Wrote:I just put the laptop between my legs and too it for a test drive  Big Grin

I got excited when I saw customise your bike, clicked the link and got taken to this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/beinn29/beinn29-customise.html">http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/b ... omise.html</a><!-- m --> I imagined fox 40's and a dropper seat post.

You can get your name on it! Awesome! Haha
Do you really need to sell your enduro, you'll loose a lot of cash and no reason why you couldn't commute on that unless storage at works or stations is the problem.

You can pick up something new for about 350 I think, spesh hardrock or similar offering from trek. I hate hybrids as they come with stupid road wheels which would be no good off road.  Try and find a second hand boardman mtb as that would be ideal.

(off topic, if you do sell your enduro I would think splitting it would be best option if you want best price)