This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thornden Woods
Have been told today that they're logging in Thornden and that the trail i built here 4 years ago is shortly to disappear.They were still cutting trees down at 7pm last night.All in the name of conservation......
Do they do anything with the logs down your way? Up here, particularly at Mereworth, they leave a large amount of it to rot.
They make good use of all the logs. Processed onsite to make poles for the new fences they put all around the woodland they have just cut.....
Highland cattle is the way forward in the Kent woodland all in the name of conservation. Don't forget to give generously to Kent Wildlife Trust who will ensure they own every single bit of woodland in Kent.....
Is that the trail through the pine trees Geoff? If so that would be a damn shame, I love that trail.
Well, not any longer then. Must have been the best trail we have made. Xmas eve trail building with Geoff. No such issues around Brighton with so many trail pixies building and repairing trails.
Yes Andy,the pine tree trail.I hope that they don't fence the tree felled area as it may be possible to restore it in some way.As for what they use the cut timber for,I guess its logs,wood pellets etc but not cut timber for building trade etc as its cut into quite short lenghts.They do leave cut timber to rot,for the insects and bugs etc.
[quote="]Yes Andy,the pine tree trail.I hope that they don't fence the tree felled area as it may be possible to restore it in some way.As for what they use the cut timber for,I guess its logs,wood pellets etc but not cut timber for building trade etc as its cut into quite short lenghts.They do leave cut timber to rot,for the insects and bugs etc.[/quote"]

Sad :'( >Sad
Heard today that the pine tree trail through Thornden (affectionately known as 'Narnia' by some) has the big cutting machine working its way through already & will soon be no more.  Gutted - that's my favourite local spot on a bike... ??)
My trail is called Narnia,not heard that before.
heh, you need some Bedgebury style trail name plaques at the start of your trails Smile