This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leg exercises
Feel like im not progressing lately and have decided to get back to the gym when I have limited time. Also need to lose weight due to diabetes and shift work means limited time.
Need some tips to strengthen the legs and get the power back. Any tips or links would be appreciated.
"thebaron38" Wrote:Feel like im not progressing lately and have decided to get back to the gym when I have limited time. Also need to lose weight due to diabetes and shift work means limited time.
Need some tips to strengthen the legs and get the power back. Any tips or links would be appreciated.

I found squats are really good for cycling muscles. I used to do a lot but haven't kept it up of late, I can never keep up any exercises for more than 5 mind except biking :B
Riding climbs works best for me.
Plus leg presses. I do about 90kg but lots of them at a fairly high rpm. Works for me. Somebody will be along to tell me this is a surefire fastrack to early death in a minute no doubt.
"Blackers" Wrote:Riding climbs works best for me.
Plus leg presses. I do about 90kg but lots of them at a fairly high rpm. Works for me. Somebody will be along to tell me this is a surefire fastrack to early death in a minute no doubt.

That is a surefire fasttrack to an early death! Wink
"Treehugger" Wrote:That is a surefire fasttrack to an early death! Wink

I don't know about an early death....but it sounds unpleasant...
Exercises I've been given for my rehab specifically for biking :

Leg press
Leg raise
Lunges (weights in hand)
Squats (weights in hand)
Step ups (weights in hand)
Deadlift
Clean and jerk (wahey)!

But to do so much leg work you must work the rest of the body or you're asking for trouble.

Seek advice from a professional for technique - get some of those wrong and you'll seriously regret it!  Youtube is also a good place to look for an idea of what some of them should look like
did a search on lunges and found this - 2 gym sessions per week and a hilly ride

seems to incorporate most of the above comments

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357564...avg-speed/
Thanks for all the help. Ill get my arse in gear and start next week.
the best exercise that will improve your pedalling is to pedal your bike, next is to go running, both will strengthen your legs, get the power back and help you loose weight far more than a few squats and lunges down the gym, both will also be more fun, especially if you run around the woods.
As said, cycling is the best exercise for cycling.

Running fitness doesn't neccesarily translate to cycling fitness, the actions for both different.

If you want to develop leg muscle squats are the king of exercises. Fact. If there is some reason you can't squat then address that, then squat.