This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRAM X9 has let me down
Last year I was running XTR shifters on my race bike & Sram X9's on the AM bike.
It was taking me a while to alter my shifting when I changed bikes & I was offered some X0 shifters, so I bought an X9 mech for the race bike.
Fitted the new X9 mech & my SH X9 shifters from the AM bike immediately before D2D in Oct.

D2D went well - shifting wise & I was happy.

I've recently been having trouble with the freehub - or so I thought >Sad
Stripped the rear end to clean the freehub to discover a perfectly well working Hope hub.
Further investigation has uncovered two completely seized jockey wheel bearings - & I mean fooked >Sad

D2D punishes the kit, but there's hardly any visible wear on the teeth, but the bearings a shot - not happy >Sad
My X9 only has bearings in the lower jockey wheel. The upper is an offset thing which I just plug with grease.

Mine seized a while ago and I bought some blue anodised from MtZoom which look good though I could only fit the lower due to the weird offset thing going on up top.

Can the bearings be bought on their own maybe. They just push out.
"Blackers" Wrote:My X9 only has bearings in the lower jockey wheel. The upper is an offset thing which I just plug with grease.

Mine seized a while ago and I bought some blue anodised from MtZoom which look good though I could only fit the lower due to the weird offset thing going on up top.

Can the bearings be bought on their own maybe. They just push out.

The newer X9 have central holes... the offset thing is a bugger as you are limited to buying genuine X9 bearings for it. The teeth on mine are almost gone
"Tinc" Wrote:Last year I was running XTR shifters on my race bike & Sram X9's on the AM bike.
It was taking me a while to alter my shifting when I changed bikes & I was offered some X0 shifters, so I bought an X9 mech for the race bike.
Fitted the new X9 mech & my SH X9 shifters from the AM bike immediately before D2D in Oct.

D2D went well - shifting wise & I was happy.

I've recently been having trouble with the freehub - or so I thought >Sad
Stripped the rear end to clean the freehub to discover a perfectly well working Hope hub.
Further investigation has uncovered two completely seized jockey wheel bearings - & I mean fooked >Sad

D2D punishes the kit, but there's hardly any visible wear on the teeth, but the bearings a shot - not happy >Sad

Kent bearings in Strood stock the bearings. Let me know if you want me to drop in one lunchtime. Alternatively you can buy complete new ones & I'll have the teeth, as my bearings are good but my teeth are shot... The more I think of this the better it sounds  Big Grin Big Grin
I'm going to try a warranty claim with CRC, failing that I'll either buy some KNC's or similar or replace the bearings. If they're going begging you'll be welcome.

Certainly not laying £22 for bearings that last maybe 100 miles.

Do you have any idea of bearing price Lagging?
"Tinc" Wrote:I'm going to try a warranty claim with CRC, failing that I'll either buy some KNC's or similar or replace the bearings. If they're going begging you'll be welcome.

Certainly not laying £22 for bearings that last maybe 100 miles.

Do you have any idea of bearing price Lagging?

Fairly sure it was less than £10 for the pair... Let me know the numbers & I'll walk over to said bearing shop for a price.
So you rammed em full of clag and grit, left em hanging around for a bit and now they have seized.... Who let who down....  

Ok so Sram jockey wheels suck....  It has to be said and Blackers ones were seized solid, impressively bad design.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:So you rammed em full of clag and grit, left em hanging around for a bit and now they have seized.... Who let who down....  

Ok so Sram jockey wheels suck....  It has to be said and Blackers ones were seized solid, impressively bad design.

Oi!! I've jet washed them at least three times since stuffing them full of that grit 8)

They actually stood up to D2D very well, after a bit if TLC they were fine.
They've gone to pot since - clearly lack of use
&quot;Tinc&quot; Wrote:Oi!! I've jet washed them at least three times since stuffing them full of that grit 8)

They actually stood up to D2D very well, after a bit if TLC they were fine.
They've gone to pot since - clearly lack of use

Maybe you should start a thread to ask about some basic maintenance and mechanical advice? ;-)
Tinc. If you are having problems bring it round mine and if you ply me with cake I will fix* it for you.  Wink

* poke it and kick it