This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bleeding rear brake, fitting new tubing
The rear hydraulic brake tube on my Scott Genius isn't long enough to run along the frame snugly and reach the back mount. How do i drain the brake and buy a new tube and fit and re-fill it ?

I have brake fluid, but apart from that i don't have a clue what to do.

the rear brake is a:  'Shimano Deore LX dual piston hydraulic disc system on 160mm centre lock rotor'

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.    ;D   Harry

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Braided hose kits are available from Superstars at a reasonable price.

Brake fluid ca be Dot 4.1 or Dot 5.1 or mineral.....makes a difference so you need to have the correct one
"Harry94" Wrote:The rear hydraulic brake tube on my Scott Genius isn't long enough to run along the frame snugly and reach the back mount. How do i drain the brake and buy a new tube and fit and re-fill it ?

I have brake fluid, but apart from that i don't have a clue what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.    ;D   Harry

The buying part is the same for all  Wink, fitting and bleeding depends on which make of brakes you have and may or may not require buying a bleed kit and or new oil depending on what you have already. But as you dont say what make/model you have its impossible to say.
[quote author=]

The buying part is the same for all  Wink, fitting and bleeding depends on which make of brakes you have and may or may not require buying a bleed kit and or new oil depending on what you have already. But as you dont say what make/model you have its impossible to say. [/quote]

rear brake is:   Shimano Deore LX dual piston hydraulic disc system on 160mm centre lock rotor
in that case you will need mineral oil and dont need a bleed kit.

Im pretty sure I have already posted detailed bleeding instructions on here previously. You can bleed shimano very easily and only need a spanner to loosen/tighten the bleed nipple as you pump the lever after adding oil to the reservoir. You will need to keep topping up the reservoir initially so keep the lid open and keep a close eye on it as you dont want to pump air into the line.

For a really good bleed once you have filled the system you can use a syringe and essentially bleed the brake from the calliper (after fitting the reservoir cap back on). This is by far the best way to do it as it allows you to pressurise the system as well as get the most air out of it.

As mentioned im sure i already posted detailed instructions in another thread, have a search round and if you have any trouble let me know.