This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stem/steerer/topcap question
I fitted some Revs last night that I picked up off STW.  Everything seems fine, but I have a question about the topcap, spacers, stem etc.  My stem and spacer combinations don't stack up exactly to the top of the steerer.  I can either have about 2mm of steerer showing above the stem, or the top of the steerer sunk about 3mm below the stem.  I first tried with 2mm above, and it clearly wasn't right as the headset would knock when I shifted the bike back and forth with the front brake on.  I tried it with 3mm sunken, and everything tightened down fine, and I'm happy with the position, etc.  

Is this setup ok, or does the steerer need to sit exactly in plane with the stem or top spacer (as it did on my old fork)?
Normally sits a few mm below the top of the stem / spacer depending upon the shape of your top cap. Its the action of the top cap puling the fork up to its underside that tightens up the headset. To do this there has top be a space between the underside of the top cap & the steerer itself hense the problem with your first attempt
2-3mm is what I tend to have! Wink
Cheers guys!