This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help - wireless connection
I got new Virgin super hub wireless router on Friday , previously was using a standard wired modem. Since installation of the new hub my download speed has dropped ridiculously ( 0.2 mbps  :o with wired connection its 9.87 mbps) also computer crashed a few times. I've run various fault finding gizmo's and found device is not working properly

Windows reports that the "TCP/IP Protocol Driver" device is not working properly.

I've no idea what this is/does/means  Undecided could it be the cause of my problems and if so how do i fix it ?
When we moved house in the summer I signed up with Virginmedia for phone and B/Band.

Never got a good signal on the line and the speed was a joke at <1mbs.  The customer services were terrible and soon we left for Sky and overnight the speed went up to a normal 3-5mbs.

Good luck.
if your downloading torrent style have you checked the routers firewall it may be blocking ports
&quot;HighFlyingRoller&quot; Wrote:if your downloading torrent style have you checked the routers firewall it may be blocking ports

nope just normal web surfing ! it takes over a minute to reload pages on Sketchy , the logo and crc banner appear a line at a time   Sad worse than very slow dial up  Undecided
&quot;Wideload&quot; Wrote:I got new Virgin super hub wireless router on Friday , previously was using a standard wired modem. Since installation of the new hub my download speed has dropped ridiculously ( 0.2 mbps  :o with wired connection its 9.87 mbps) also computer crashed a few times. I've run various fault finding gizmo's and found device is not working properly

Windows reports that the "TCP/IP Protocol Driver" device is not working properly.

I've no idea what this is/does/means  Undecided could it be the cause of my problems and if so how do i fix it ?

Where are you seeing that mate?
Can you supply me with the exact laptop make and model and which operating system you're running?
[quote author=]

Where are you seeing that mate?
Can you supply me with the exact laptop make and model and which operating system you're running?[/quote]

Erm on the screen  Undecided :B Big Grin

I can supply you with those details when I get home from work  Wink
Sound Like Exactly the same symptoms as us.
We couldn't even watch a short poor quality Youtube video without it crashing.

VM actually sent BT out investigate the line as they thought it was a the problem.  BT replaced a socket and tested the line.  Nothing changed and the  VM charged us for the BT attending.

As I said, no such issue with Sky and its been fault free for 6months.

Are you in the sticks?  They said your distance from the exchange is a
Speed limiting factor.
&quot;Bertie&quot; Wrote:Sound Like Exactly the same symptoms as us.
We couldn't even watch a short poor quality Youtube video without it crashing.

VM actually sent BT out investigate the line as they thought it was a the problem.  BT replaced a socket and tested the line.  Nothing changed and the  VM charged us for the BT attending.

As I said, no such issue with Sky and its been fault free for 6months.

Are you in the sticks?  They said your distance from the exchange is a
Speed limiting factor.

This is a wireless problem not a broadband problem. If it were a broadband problem then he's experience the same speeds over the wired connection. Either the wifi card on the laptop is doing something funky or the wireless device in the router is doing something funky, but judging by the not working properly message he's seeing my guess is that the wifi card is being unkind.
[quote author=]
Can you supply me with the exact laptop make and model and which operating system you're running?[/quote]

Samsung S3510 - Windows 7 home premium  Wink
&quot;Wideload&quot; Wrote:Samsung S3510 - Windows 7 home premium  Wink

I can't find it on their site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/findyourmodelnumber">http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/findyourmodelnumber</a><!-- m -->