This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cutting down a seat post
Anyone done it? Best way to do it? Plumbers pipe cutter?

It's an alloy seat post by the way.
Hacksaw and a steady hand. Doesnt need to be the neatest job as the cut end will be in the frame. Just file round the edge to remove the burrs and make it easier to put back in. How long is it in the first place that you need to cut it?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
The post is 360mm long, the minimum insert mark leaves 100mm in the frame. I want to take off 100mm which would still leave 110mm left in the frame at the highest I ever have it.

The reason for doing it is that I'd like to get the seat a little lower sometimes and something seems to be stopping it - my guess is the bolts in the frame where a water bottle would go. Even with the bolts removed it won't go any lower though.
If you have a spare stem, clamp it to the seatpost to use it as a guide to cut it Smile if it doesnt fit very well just wedge something in there, then use the edge as your guide when sawing, nice straight cut (Y) Smile
Cant say i've ever had the need to do this.

Those of you who have met me will know why !!
Because you never actually sit on the bike due to spending 100% of the time fixing punctures?
Other uses for Longjon's seatpost

Fishing
resim

Lightening Conductor
resim

Other leisure activities
resim
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Other uses for Longjon's seatpost

Fishing
resim

Lightening Conductor
resim

Other leisure activities
resim

Pole vaulting.
One of the above three pictures involves a fishy smelling pole, can you guess which one?

{ :B Sorry}
"Longjon" Wrote:Cant say i've ever had the need to do this.

Those of you who have met me will know why !!

Big Grin