This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weekly run log
Thought this might be interesting and sort of runs alongside the weigh in thread nicely....

I don't run so have little or nothing to contribute so I thought alittle about my running history just to get things started.

I went through a spell of doing 10k races on Sundays with a few other xc events thrown in, must have been 10 years ago, maybe 12 years ago.

Never trained and would leave the bar early, like 5am and then my 'running buddies' would turn up at 07.30 to find me face down in the hallway.

A quick burger and a cup of rosy at the snackwagon at the race and away I went.... often beating the guys that trained all week....  got down to about 43.38 for a fairly easy 10k course but the best thing about it was that it set you up a treat for a few beers Sunday lunchtime.

When I try and run now my knees wanna explode and i have to disappear into the bushes every couple of miles for my guts to drop out so not really got back into it which is a shame as i'd like to do a couple of 3 -5 milers a week. Strangely I can chase a ball around indefinately.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Lol Nige Big Grin

I have run sporadically on a treadmill over the last three years but never more than half hour. Couldn't ride my bike once so decided to try and run as much of the Crab & Wincle as I could, but died after about 1 1/2 miles, then couldn't walk properly for a week. Same story the other week, but managed 3.5miles in 29 min, but couldn't walk properly for a week, and left foot still aches a bit as I over pronate. Would like to run regularly, but fear I will be in almost constant pain. Will get some appropriate inner soles for my trainers and try again.
To be honest Andy, the more you do it, the better it will become, to begin with the bike has to take a bit of a back seat whilst you do plenty of short routes at a relaxing pace, I started running because I was cycling so much whenever I walked any sort of distance I would get slight5 shin splints!! So basically just needed to even out the muscle Smile I run only enough to do so as well! Tongue
&quot;Matt Saunby&quot; Wrote:To be honest Andy, the more you do it, the better it will become, to begin with the bike has to take a bit of a back seat whilst you do plenty of short routes at a relaxing pace, I started running because I was cycling so much whenever I walked any sort of distance I would get slight5 shin splints!! So basically just needed to even out the muscle Smile I run only enough to do so as well! Tongue

I know mate. I want to run again but the problem is my foot. Its been just over 2 weeks now and it still hurts occasionally. I only want to run to lose weight, so I may just ride more instead. I'll have more motivation to get out on my own in the evenings when the evenings get longer.
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:Same story the other week, but managed 3.5miles in 29 min, but couldn't walk properly for a week, and left foot still aches a bit as I over pronate. Would like to run regularly, but fear I will be in almost constant pain. Will get some appropriate inner soles for my trainers and try again.

You under pronate Wink

I've missed 2 runs now, one because of hurty right foot and the weather's just been rubbish to run in.  I'd much rather be out when it's at least vaguely sunny.  If I miss a run, I'm making up for it on the bike at the moment.  I'm hoping to get back to 2-3, 7 mile runs soon though.  I actually much prefer long distance.
&quot;Avril19&quot; Wrote:You under pronate Wink

I've missed 2 runs now, one because of hurty right foot and the weather's just been rubbish to run in.  I'd much rather be out when it's at least vaguely sunny.  If I miss a run, I'm making up for it on the bike at the moment.  I'm hoping to get back to 2-3, 7 mile runs soon though.  I actually much prefer long distance.

Keep getting that mixed up :B
most cyclists have a neutral gait
[quote=&quot;]most cyclists have a neutral gait[/quote&quot;]

It depends on the anatomy of your foot.  My arches are not very well defined, so I over pronate (my feet roll inwards as I run).  This has caused me problems with my hamstrings and glutes on occasion.  I find biking helps leg strength and will hopefully help my running in turn, but I still need trainers with some stability/motion control.  

Edit:  Stand corrected, it depends on the extent to which your foot arch collapses as your foot goes through its "walk cycle".  I always assumed it was because of my lack of defined arch.  
I'm pretty bad long distance, i can bomb it for a mile, takes me 7 mins. And them i'm dead  Tongue

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
&quot;Avril19&quot; Wrote:It depends on the anatomy of your foot.  My arches are not very well defined, so I over pronate (my feet roll inwards as I run).  This has caused me problems with my hamstrings and glutes on occasion.  I find biking helps leg strength and will hopefully help my running in turn, but I still need trainers with some stability/motion control.  

Edit: Stand corrected, it depends on the extent to which your foot arch collapses as your foot goes through its "walk cycle".  I always assumed it was because of my lack of defined arch.  

LOL
Keep it foolish...