This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clowes woods trails
Hello all, I have a question regarding Clowes woods,

A friend and I were riding through there last sunday looking for trails to ride and noticed off the crab and winkle way that there were blue and yellow arrows, nailed to wooden posts going off into the woods

are these rideable trails or footpaths?

we were there around 830-9am and didnt bump into any dogwalkers or ramblers, saw plenty of tyre tracks and even found a trail that had clearly been made up by a MTB'er

thanks in advance for clarifying if you can

Rich
its an ex railway line that was reopened for people to walk or ride. Perfectly legal to ride it on your bike.
Its not just an ex railway line Sailor, it was the "first regular steam passenger railway in the world".  And perhaps more interesting is  that the gradients were actually too steep and so the trains had to be pulled by cables, steam powered from the winding pond in Clowes Wood.

I'd just follow the arrows and see what happens.
"Bertie" Wrote:Its not just an ex railway line Sailor, it was the "first regular steam passenger railway in the world".  And perhaps more interesting is  that the gradients were actually too steep and so the trains had to be pulled by cables, steam powered from the winding pond in Clowes Wood.

I'd just follow the arrows and see what happens.

Now that Bertie is the kind of stuff I like... thanks
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
There are several footpaths here,hence the yellow arrows,but only one bridleway,blue arrow.There are many unofficial tracks/trails which combined with the "legal" make this an interesting wood to ride.Have only ever built one trail here which ran thru the pines on the slope down towards the A290.Did'nt last long as they cut all the pines down about 5 years ago,its now scrub land.When you find a trail just follow it and see where it takes you.
Cheers guys, I know its ok to ride the crab and winkle way, done that a couple of times now, will try a few of the trails next time I am over that way