This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres and tubes??
Hey guy's, apparently the tyres that come on the trance are really not very good (hutchinson something or other), I have been running bontrager mud x tyres on the trek but would like to try something else around a 2.10. Needs to be good on the downhills and up hills and obviously good in the wet!

With regards to tubes, do the light weight tubes survive agressive xc/singletrack with drops etc? How are the maxxis fly weight and continental supersonic tubes?

Thanks-Hugh
Are they Huchinson Piranha's?  Not good at all in the mud - i rode half a winter with them on and could not beleive the difference a tyre change made.  Check out a couple of the 'what tyre' threads for some advice but really its a very personal thing.  For what its worth i think the Frire XC is a good all rounder but not amazing in any one condition.  For mud you're looking at Mud X or Trailrakers.
"pittgoat" Wrote:Are they Huchinson Piranha's?  Not good at all in the mud - i rode half a winter with them on and could not beleive the difference a tyre change made.  Check out a couple of the 'what tyre' threads for some advice but really its a very personal thing.  For what its worth i think the Frire XC is a good all rounder but not amazing in any one condition.  For mud you're looking at Mud X or Trailrakers.
or FireXC Mud's.   I'm loving mine at the moment.
has anyone tried gel tubes?  Are they any good, Supposed to save having to repair after a punchture.
I've got one on the rear at the moment.  Had it on there for a couple of weeks and no problems yet.  Not looked at it closely to see if it's saved me yet, though Undecided
does it affect the handling of the bike at all, being heavier etc?
They are a fair bit heavier but probably not enough that'd you'd notice a significant handling difference for most of our abilities.  I don't fancy carrying the extra weight tho so have never bothered with them
I use slim tubes thro the winter & they work for me. Yes they are a fair bit heavy, but a few grams extra weight during the Winter isnt that much of an issue when you think how much mud sticks onto the frame & wheels anyway.
I haven't really noticed the weight too much.  But they really do feel soooooo much heavier when you take them out the box :o

I'm planning on using them for winter months only, TBH.  I don't mind fixing a punture, just not in the cold :'(
Tempting fate.....I havent had a puncture in well over 6 months although I was a bit worried last weekend when I kept riding over broken off thorn branches etc, mud x's must be quite thick at the top although they do have high knobbles which helps (er is that a word)