This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lands End to John O Groats
Does anyone on here know much about it?

Thinking I may do it (potentially solo) with an aim of doing it in 8 days so roughly 100-110 miles a day.

I've seen various websites/books/clubs talking about it, i.e. the route etc but I thought someone on here could probably put in the right direction of reliables sources of information.

Would be a good challenge, i'd be massively pleased if I could manage 8 striaght days of 100+ miles.
probably best to do it as part of an organised event. That way you arent carrying all your gear, clothes etc whilst riding. They transport your gear from hotel to hotel, and i assume provide some sort of secure overnight bike storage, not to mention spare bits in case of mechanicals.
Talk to me friend Nic the whippet he is not on sketchy but he does ride with us alot of thursdays at kings, he did it last year i think in 8 days trying to fit in some of the national park like the lake district. I know he said there were a few thing he would do diferently.
Interesting, Have never really thought of doing it as part of an organised thing until it was mentioned. Makes a lot of sense and to ride unloaded up would be great. However part of it for me may be the self suffiencent side of things.

50/50 about it all at the moment as I have been invited on a camping road trip too around france which would involve wine, food and friends, so hugely different!  Tongue

Matt I'll do my best to make another thursday ride, especially if your friend comes. It would be nice to hear his opinion on it.  8)
Lots of routes on websites/blogs

Shorter more direct A roads or some more twisty scenic stuff

2 or 3 riders plus supporter in van etc. Van periodically drives short way ahead and sorts lunch etc and carries stuff and available if needed for a problem

Organised pretty costly but avoids planning problems with accommodation etc

Riding solo through some towns or big suburban areas on your own for 7 or 8 hours a day when your tired might need to be evaluated against great days in country

Road bike and no panniers and not solo IMO
"mudhound" Wrote:Road bike and no panniers and not solo IMO

Sounds like a good call.

I did the full panniers and self supported (but 3 of us) last year.

I'd like to consider this as more of an actual physical challenge.
I've done it. but was self sufficient. I have a friend doing it now with Action medical research, its a 8 or 9 day ride, supported. Well worth doing.
"BennyP" Wrote:Interesting, Have never really thought of doing it as part of an organised thing until it was mentioned. Makes a lot of sense and to ride unloaded up would be great. However part of it for me may be the self suffiencent side of things.

50/50 about it all at the moment as I have been invited on a camping road trip too around france which would involve wine, food and friends, so hugely different!  Tongue

Matt I'll do my best to make another thursday ride, especially if your friend comes. It would be nice to hear his opinion on it.  8)

If you did sort it out as an organised event, I would love to come too! I'm possibly / should be doing a 200 mile charity ride this month if work will give me the time off that is!
"p5ym0n" Wrote:If you did sort it out as an organised event, I would love to come too! I'm possibly / should be doing a 200 mile charity ride this month if work will give me the time off that is!

I'll keep you posted.

I think i've been persuaded to go and mince about France for 10 days though drinking wine and eating cheese so I'm going to have to see what holiday at work I can wangle if I want to do LEJOG.