This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cwm Carn,Afan/Glyncorrwg
Just back from 3 days here and at Brechfa,3 very warm days.Afan is looking very different with large areas of felled trees or diseased trees awaiting there turn.A much changed visual experience.
What is a concern is the lack of riders over the weekend,particularly on Saturday.Cwm Carn seemed to be as busy as ever.There was a demo weekend at Glyncorrwg for Pivot bikes but it felt like a mid winter weekend rather than a warm early summer one.Have been here since 2005 at the end of February,which was cold with snow and ice but there were more riders about then rather than this weekend.Recession must be one reason why,but trail closures(or scare stories of permanent closures),tree felling and arguing/dispute over cafe must have had an affect.
Speaking to one of the local riders in the Working mens club(the big black building) he said that new trails will be completed by mid 2013,he's also going to try and show us some local natural trails the next time we go.
The only problem, which I've never had before here, was the midges.
I think all the crap about the cafe and trail closures has definitely put a lot of people off going there. Add to that all the deforestation due to  the tree disease and trail closures, i don't think Afan is anywhere near as appealing as it used to be. Personally, i don't think i could choose Afan over the trails in North Wales again. There's just so much more to do up there and we had an absolutely awesome long weekend. I still like the Afan trails, but it just dosn't have the same allure as it used too, possibly because i have ridden there 7 times now compared to twice up north...I'm pleased you guys had a good time though Smile

Oh and I got a few midgie bites at Cwmcarn the weekend before the Sketchy trip and was also surprised as never seen them in Wales before.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Personally, i don't think i could choose Afan over the trails in North Wales again.

+1 on that

Next time I go to Wales, it's North Wales all the way.  Whites Level and the wall are great, but I enjoyed Penhydd more and that's gone now. There's more trails at Coed Y Brenin and what's there is either as good or better.  I also like the look of Llandegla too so I'm hoping to do Brenin & Llandegla in one weekend later this year.

On top of the trails though, North Wales is just nicer, I found Afan scruffier, had more litter and there was just nothing in Cymmer in terms of places to eat and have a post-ride beer, though the Drop off cafe was good. When I've stayed in Dolgellau next to CYB there's a handful of pubs, a curry house and loads of good B&B's, much more appealing.

Shame cause Afan is at least an hour nearer, if only Glentress could be in South Wales...  ;D
South Wales has its place. I know there that all the trails I can thrash down without a thought and its within a 2.5hr drive of home so doable for a weekend with two days riding. I LOVE the Whites climb and dont think anything in N.Wales matches it for length or fun. For a 'holiday' North Wales offers far more in terms of riding, variation and ability and also things to see/do. Afan offers you riding on your doorstep for cheap.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
There are other trail centres in South Wales as well....
You mean

*other trail centres are available and if you dont keep up repayments your home may be at risk.
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Afan offers you riding on your doorstep for cheap.

A 200 mile drive is on your doorstep ?  Big Grin

I thought Surrey was a long way to go for a ride...  Tongue
"Breezer" Wrote:There are other trail centres in South Wales as well....

Brechfa looks good, but if you're going to do a "tour" of trail centres, I'd rather be based in Snowdonia than South Wales with it's Jeremy-Kyle-guest locals myself  Tongue

Mind you, plenty of those types in Hastings & Eastbourne as well...
"dawg08" Wrote:A 200 mile drive is on your doorstep ?  Big Grin

I thought Surrey was a long way to go for a ride...  Tongue

I mean from where you are staying. Most of the N.Wales trail centres are 30 mins or so away apart from penmachno and marin trail. Not to mention the 4.5 hours to get there, if you leave early!
"treaclesponge" Wrote:I mean from where you are staying. Most of the N.Wales trail centres are 30 mins or so away apart from penmachno and marin trail. Not to mention the 4.5 hours to get there, if you leave early!

Yeah it is a bit of a mission to get to North Wales, but as long as you've got a car load of mates the banter usually makes the journey fly by.  I'm aiming to go back in early August if I ever manage to get this @!*&ing bike built  :'(