This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rear hub
looking for a bit of advice
I have a whyte 809 ht and my rear hub keeps loosening or the axle is loosening .. I have brought it to the bike shop where I bought it and they have repaired it twice free of charge as the bike is only 2 months old ..It is a sram hub and I was told they aren't very good so I was just wondering what would be a good hub to buy and where to get it rebuilt as the bike shop I go to cant build a rear wheel .. Would also be a big bonus if the hub was loud as I am a big child and thinks it is class  ;D
Thanks for any help
Well...first things first. If the wheel is faulty and cant be fixed (2 failed attempts!) the shop should be replacing it under warranty as it is not fit for purpose. Get it back to the shop and tell them you need it properly repaired or replaced at their expense as per the warranty. If they dont have the needed skills to fix it they should pay somebody else to do it.

I suspect if you get a bit primeval on they ass they may just offer you a new wheel. If they do report back on what it is and we can tell you if its a fair swap.
There's a few diff sram 1's but they're not great, tho tbh I'm yet to find a hub i rly like, all have flaws. I'd avoid shimano, hope pro's seem ok, but not perfect, c.k's r nice but at a super high price. There's a dude on here who could re-build your wheel I'm sure longjon i think, or maidstone cycle uk, russ'l sort u out mate. Wink
"Blackers" Wrote:Well...first things first. If the wheel is faulty and cant be fixed (2 failed attempts!) the shop should be replacing it under warranty as it is not fit for purpose. Get it back to the shop and tell them you need it properly repaired or replaced at their expense as per the warranty. If they dont have the needed skills to fix it they should pay somebody else to do it.

I suspect if you get a bit primeval on they ass they may just offer you a new wheel. If they do report back on what it is and we can tell you if its a fair swap.

They have no problem replacing it with the same as is on it but my problem is that it has let me down twice already and I don't want to go away for the weekend and my weekend spoilt because of the rear hub breaking again , think I will just learn from my mistakes and pay more attention to a bikes specs and not looks in the future and buy a descent hub for it
[quote="]There's a few diff sram 1's but they're not great, tho tbh I'm yet to find a hub i rly like, all have flaws. I'd avoid shimano, hope pro's seem ok, but not perfect, c.k's r nice but at a super high price. There's a dude on here who could re-build your wheel I'm sure longjon i think, or maidstone cycle uk, russ'l sort u out mate. Wink[/quote"]

maidstone cycles uk it is so now to pick a hub ck are way to expensive new
"feery" Wrote:They have no problem replacing it with the same as is on it but my problem is that it has let me down twice already and I don't want to go away for the weekend and my weekend spoilt because of the rear hub breaking again , think I will just learn from my mistakes and pay more attention to a bikes specs and not looks in the future and buy a descent hub for it

Get it replaced then. I doubt Sram made every one of these hubs so as to fail. Youve just been unlucky. Cycles UK had no problem truing one of my wheels up a few months back too. Good shop.
"Blackers" Wrote:Get it replaced then. I doubt Sram made every one of these hubs so as to fail. Youve just been unlucky. Cycles UK had no problem truing one of my wheels up a few months back too. Good shop.

Any suggestions of a good hub to get that doesn't cost a fortune
"feery" Wrote:Any suggestions of a good hub to get that doesn't cost a fortune

Its probably cheaper to just buy a new wheel.

What is the bike/wheel/hub?
Sod buying a decent mountain bike and it not being fit for purpose! Get back to the shop and tell them to go back to Whyte to sort it! It's just not on having critical parts fail within a couple of months!

Where where you when it failed each time? What sort of terrain?
"Blackers" Wrote:Its probably cheaper to just buy a new wheel.

What is the bike/wheel/hub?

whyte 809 / alex rims td24 / sram 508 ..