This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing chainset
Another silly question. I've done some research but would prefer clarification before making a purchase!

I currently have a hefty Suntour XCT 22x32x42 set fitted, and am looking to upgrade for a bit of weight saving. I'm happy to sit with an 8 speed cassette so don't want to change that, or shifters.

Is it simply a case of purchasing an equivalent size set i.e 22x32x42 (or 22x32 or 32x42 to shave a little more weight off) and bottom bracket etc? Is single speed an option with chain guard and 8 speed cassette? limited i know.

I appreciate theres the usual arguments of saving money and buying a better spec bike, but I'm happy with what I have for now, and just want to upgrade and save a little weight. It's all part of the learning process too.

Thanks in advance
Suntour xct has an internal bottom bracket (i think) which will limit your options with regard chainsets, as a new one will obviously need to be compatible with that type of bottom bracket.
You could run the bike with a double chainset but as you won't be able to fit a chainguide there is little point. 1x8 will be far to limiting if you intend to pedal the bike around, and again as you can't fit a chainguide there is little point going down that road.
If its purely for weight saving then new tyres would be a better way of spending your money as if it has a 8 speed drive train then it probably has normal steel bead tyres ie not folding kevlar ones. For £40-50 you could pick up a pair of new decent tyres which would knock a pound or more off the bike and would be quite noticable. Saving weight on a chainset wont be really as its in the middle of the bike so better off waiting till its worn out and then upgrade it when replacing.
[quote author=]Suntour xct has an internal bottom bracket (i think) which will limit your options with regard chainsets, as a new one will obviously need to be compatible with that type of bottom bracket.
You could run the bike with a double chainset but as you won't be able to fit a chainguide there is little point. 1x8 will be far to limiting if you intend to pedal the bike around, and again as you can't fit a chainguide there is little point going down that road.[/quote]

I thought most new External Bottom Bracket Chainsets come with new Bottom brackets anyway
Think they usually do, pretty sure this one is an internall BB, which again probably comes with the BB. My point though is that if it's an internal BB type that he is replacing he obviously needs to make sure that's what he buys.
[quote="]Think they usually do, pretty sure this one is an internall BB, which again probably comes with the BB. My point though is that if it's an internal BB type that he is replacing he obviously needs to make sure that's what he buys. [/quote"]

As long as you replace the Bottom Bracket to suit the Cranks cant you use either  Undecided
potentially yes, would depend on the chainline especially if its 43.5mm or 45mm (8 speed), although it may be possible to get a 43.5mm chainline by removing all spacers.

Also its likely that the BB shell will need facing, with an internal BB this isnt required so its highly unlikely it has been done.