This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front tyre for hard conditions? Dicuss
I'm riding a Hardtail with a WTB Prowler MX 2.3 on the front which is meant to be an all terrian tyre.
I got this after not being happy with the tyre that came with my bike and reading various reviews. I also wanted a tyre that would cover a wide range of conditions because I didnt want to change my tyre everytime the sun came out and dried up the trails or its rained and made tracks look like the Somme.
But at the weekend while I was riding the big berm section at the Warren I could feel my front slipping and fighting for grip.
While I accept my riding technique isn't great and could be improved massively, should i be looking at getting a new tyre for hard pack surfaces?
The tyre on the rear is a Ritchey ZMAX Classic 2.35 Comp and this felt fine with whatever I rode over and never gave me any cause for concern.

So the question is: What tyre should I look at getting?

Dicuss......

*now runs away and hides while a massive can of worms is opened  Undecided
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up :lol:
I've been dismissive of changing tyres for specific conditions for years but I gave it a go this summer.

Got some Maxxis High Rollers and what do you know, the bike rolled a bit faster...

I'm not going to even pretend to be an expert on this, but I would have though that the tyre isn't the only factor.  You need to have a bit of weight over the front wheel to make the tread bite into the trail.  I'm sure the better the rider, the more grippy the tyres...

Personally I've never had the bottle to get close to finding the limits of the grip on my tyres when cornering.
I would say that you should think about technique and tyre pressure first. And maybe lower the stem if you can.

I suffered with a serious lack of confidence when cornering for a while and I found a Maxxis Highroller in 60something compound worked wonders for me. That said the Prowler looks grippy too.
Generally make sure you are leaning the bike, whilst keeping your body upright. Leaning with the bike will start to make the front slide out early for sure. If your front tyre isnt weighted enough it will have a tendency to wash out, you may find that raising the stem/bars will put you in a more confident riding position to do this, especially if you are riding a shorter frame. There are also one or two other tweaks you can make to your setup that can help, but without seeing you ride its impossible to tell from which you could benefit.

A tyre with a prominent shoulder such as a Minion or Highroller will give you the most cornering grip, however as the front of your bike is starting to wash out in berms its suggests its probably more to do with technique than tyre choice.
+1 to what Sailor said. Also, there are loads of tyre threads on here, so do a search Wink
"Treehugger" Wrote:Also, there are loads of tyre threads on here, so do a search Wink

Most of which is contained in a 1,045 page epic thread.  :o
"Treehugger" Wrote:+1 to what Sailor said. Also, there are loads of tyre threads on here, so do a search Wink

Thanks guys for the advice so far.
I've read some of the other threads on the forum and done a bit more research on the net and decided to go with Sailor's advice on tyre choice and get a Maxxis Minion.
But before I commit, I thought I would try the tyre pressure option and practice some more with trying to improve my technique.
So what pressure should I be thinking of going down to?
Went to the warren yesterday to experiment with tyre pressure.
Dropped 15psi from the front and 10 from the rear.
I know the ground had been rained on but it was still hard but I definately felt the front wasnt fighting to grip like the last time.

Still might get a Minion though!!!!  Wink
"argo229" Wrote:Went to the warren yesterday to experiment with tyre pressure.
Dropped 15psi from the front and 10 from the rear.
I know the ground had been rained on but it was still hard but I definately felt the front wasnt fighting to grip like the last time.

Still might get a Minion though!!!!  Wink
Minions are DH tires. Unless you are riding lots of DH, get something lighter and faster rolling, like 2.2 Rubber Queens or Bontrager XR4's.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Minions are DH tires. Unless you are riding lots of DH, get something lighter and faster rolling, like 2.2 Rubber Queens or Bontrager XR4's.

Really? Better take mine off my trail bike then.