This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New wheel advice
Okay, my XT rear hub has eventually given up the ghost so I'm in the market for a new pair of wheels, they have to be tubeless ready. I've kinda narrowed the hubs down to Hope Pro 2 with either Mavic ex721, Mavic xc717 or ZTR Stans Flows.

Any advice would be greatfully received
Superstar are worth considering I reckon. Cheaper than Hopes and they offer Stans rims and colour options on the hubs!
I may soon be selling some Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels. Red hubs on black Mavic xc717 rims. But they're not tubeless ready, but that's not to say they can't be ghetto'd.
Those mavic rims aren't tubeless ready.  I like the look of the new WTB i19 and i23 rims.  tubeless ready, strong, light, and cheaper than stans.  build them to any hub at CRC. can't run normal tires tubeless though, they have to be tubeless ready, which is becoming more common every day.

edit: response was to jelly legs, not the general.
I know its a bit of a tried and tested combo but I'm very pleased with my Pro 2/Crest wheels.  Nice and light but strong enough to survive my general blunderings and a long weekends worth of abuse in Wales with changable front hub options too.

I think the SS hubs have had a bit of a panning in the past about the bearings being a bit iffy but replacements can be had quite cheaply and are easy to swap by all acounts.  Easy swap front hubs with these too.  IIRC Uphill Mike has Superstar/Crests on his Trek?

Tuppence in the ring Wink
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
"Blackers" Wrote:Superstar are worth considering I reckon. Cheaper than Hopes and they offer Stans rims and colour options on the hubs!

My superstar hubbed wheel set if working fine after 4 months of use and survived Wales OK. I have switch Evo's on Stans Flows. At the time of purchase they were £200 for the set.

I also prefer the hub noise, a mild click. Standard hub bearings as well.
"General Sparks" Wrote:I may soon be selling some Hope Pro 2 Evo wheels. Red hubs on black Mavic xc717 rims. But they're not tubeless ready, but that's not to say they can't be ghetto'd.

Potentially may be interested the wheels for the bike I'm slowly building up for master Lagging  ;D
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Potentially may be interested the wheels for the bike I'm slowly building up for master Lagging  ;D

Cool, let me know and I'll sort you some pics out. Thinking around £200 including KCNC Skewers and discs.
"General Sparks" Wrote:Cool, let me know and I'll sort you some pics out. Thinking around £200 including KCNC Skewers and discs.

If laggingbehind don't take them I would be interested in them , Any chance of a picture, would have cash on Friday .
Only interested if he decides not to take them ..
"feery" Wrote:If laggingbehind don't take them I would be interested in them , Any chance of a picture, would have cash on Friday .
Only interested if he decides not to take them ..

Sure I'll sort some out for you tomorrow.