This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope head doctor
How the heck do you get them to grip and tighten into the steerer?

I must be missing something, I've taken it apart, greased the threads, then place inside the steerer attempt to tighten it and it just spins!

I've watched the vid online, but can't get the flipping thing to bite!

Any tips?
take your wheel off and stick something long up your steerer tube from the bottom whilst you turn the allen key at the top. Alternatively nip it up a little before you fit it and try to pull the top part up as you turn it with the allen key.
Yes with the 8mm allen key make it "open" enough so that it requires a fair bit of force to push down into the steerer, should then be enough friction that you can do it up FT-1 then fit the topcap and nip up as normal to preload the bearings. Ive used them for a long time. My only issue with them is that I had to remove the rubber ring from mine to fit a couple of steerers, not an issue as long as you dont undo it completely....I believe FSA make something similar which has a more recessed one
Sailor,   can't go from the bottom as there is a cap covering the tube.

Breezer,  I've tried that it still does not bite.

It seems that the two tapers meet on the thread part and will not cause the assembly to expand any further.

Any other ideas?
See below. Is it definitely together right (ignore lack of rubber o ring)

With mine done up as tight as shown ie 5mm ish gap still, that's too tight to push into my Sid steerer tube

Can only presume somethings round the wrong way or you have some old forks with a full 1.5 steerer?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
"Breezer" Wrote:See below. Is it definitely together right (ignore lack of rubber o ring)

With mine done up as tight as shown ie 5mm ish gap still, that's too tight to push into my Sid steerer tube

Can only presume somethings round the wrong way or you have some old forks with a full 1.5 steerer?

+1 I've been know to spend a few hours swearing at head doctors before just to realise my basic user error  :B
Looks like that, I've also looked at the exploded diagram and checked the orientation of the threaded and non threaded spacers.

Just measured the steerer just under an inch ID.

Not really sure what else to look at!

Other than CRC for a SFN!
Still no luck, I'll have another look in the morning!
"Holmes81" Wrote:Sailor,   can't go from the bottom as there is a cap covering the tube.

Breezer,  I've tried that it still does not bite.

It seems that the two tapers meet on the thread part and will not cause the assembly to expand any further.

Any other ideas?

can you not remove the cap? It not like it will be doing anything. Try turning your bike upside down and then tighten the head doctor. Also a bit of copper slip on the threads may help. I find the best way is copper slip on the threads, then have the two halves threaded as much as you can get away with so that it still fits in the steerer, then pull up on the allen key as you turn it (as if you are trying to pull the top part back out of the steerer). Ive never had any issues fitting these and ive done quite a few. Last resort has always been to stick something up from the bottom.
Is it a tight fit getting it into the steerer tube?