This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting new swing arm bearings.
Just had a quick search and have found nothing.  Undecided

My swing arm bearings for the Heckler arrived today (sorry Andy) and was just wondering if there is a ghetto fitment option or I have to use specific bearing press tools or not?

Ta muchly  8)
http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/tech/HecklerBearing.pdf

Can probably use a hammer etc to get the old ones out. New ones could go in with a socket upside down but need to be very careful to get in straight and avoid the socket going onto the rubber seal part of the bearing. Best option other than the proper tool would be similar to a home made headset/BB press ie a section of threaded rod, coulpe of nuts and 2 large washers like this

resim
"BennyP" Wrote:Just had a quick search and have found nothing.  Undecided

My swing arm bearings for the Heckler arrived today (sorry Andy) and was just wondering if there is a ghetto fitment option or I have to use specific bearing press tools or not?

Ta muchly  8)

Mine arrived today too Smile I hear that replacing them can be a bit tricky though, so am enlisting the services of Longjon's Chop Shop.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Mine arrived today too Smile I hear that replacing them can be a bit tricky though, so am enlisting the services of Longjon's Chop Shop.

Glad to hear it, they can be tricky too

Long Jon !!
Home made press it is, not sure how big my home made headset press is (bolt) but hopefully I can use that.

Cheers peoples, prefer to be doing it myself out of pure inquisitiveness mostly (o and too tight and lazy to take it somewhere).  Wink
Try a length of threaded bar and sockets that fit the outside race of your bearings, that way you can feel how much pressure you are applying and its light so wont go in at an angle.
"Longjon" Wrote:Try a length of threaded bar and sockets that fit the outside race of your bearings, that way you can feel how much pressure you are applying and its light so wont go in at an angle.

Will do, got a whole heap of sockets at home so should be able to get something that fits nice. Thank you sir.  Wink
Make sure when fitting a rolling element bearing in a hole to fit using the outer race.if fitting on a shaft,then use the inner race.if fitting over a shaft/and in a hole,use both inner and outer race. Otherwise you will put small flats on the races and then create a "notch" bearing. Just like I have in the dog bone of my asr-5 !
"Longjon" Wrote:Glad to hear it, they can be tricky too

Long Jon !!

You able to give it a bash tomorrow? Wink

Meh, I meant to put a space there.
Is it likely that I can find bearings locally to fit my frame? They are angular contact bearings? This is the code numbery thing off the website...

Tallboy 1.0 Bearing Kit / - [pn: SCS-04-14042]