This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
26", 650b & 29" Wheels
Following on from a chat I had with somebody yesterday, I found this.

resim

Obviously it all depends on tyre profile too but it gives a rough idea of the difference between the three wheel sizes.
So 650b isnt in the middle. Anyway, I would like to try a 140mm 650b bike, reckon it would be best way to go to replace a 160mm 26
Indeed, The gaps between 26 and 650b and 650b and 29 were very different when I had the wheels to hand to compare side by side. the jump to 29 is much more pronounced.

That seems to be the thinking now from what I read. 29 for Hardtails and short travel. 650b for medium travel and 26 for downhill. Not sure it will happen but I can see the sense.
I still think in the future for mainstream short to mid travel bikes you will eventually see wheel size change with frame size
stick a rubber queen on a 26" wheel and its as near as dam it to a 650b with a regular tyre.
There is sense in that too. The problem with longer travel is that there just isn't room for a 29inch wheel. Making room would result in a very long wheelbase for a large size.
[quote="]stick a rubber queen on a 26" wheel and its as near as dam it to a 650b with a regular tyre.[/quote"]

Yep some of my big Kendas give almost an inch greater diameter than say a mud x or rocket ron etc
[quote author=]stick a rubber queen on a 26" wheel and its as near as dam it to a 650b with a regular tyre.[/quote    

Put a RQ on a 650b to compare it to a RQ on a 26''....  

I think Breezer is spot on... a 140mm 650b trail bike will hit the spot just right.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:[quote=&quot;Mbnut&quot;]stick a rubber queen on a 26" wheel and its as near as dam it to a 650b with a regular tyre.[/quote    

Put a RQ on a 650b to compare it to a RQ on a 26''....  

I think Breezer is spot on... a 140mm 650b trail bike will hit the spot just right.

do they make them? And even if they do most people will just run regular 650b tyres, in which case is it worth buying a new bike when you can get a lot of the perceived benefits of a 'bigger wheel' by switching tyres.
Why bigging up (lol pun) RQ's when you dont like them and are selling yours? Smile