This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paris Roubaix cyclo 2012
Completed this yesterday :-)

201km/131 miles including 32 sections of Pave/cobbled roads (54km) including Arenburg trench on road bike. Set off from hotel jusy before 6am to ride 15 miles to start and finished event just after 2pm with a lap of the Roubaix Velodrome with 29.5kph/18.3mph average moving time ffor the event. Rain held off.

Pretty well organised and mark all road junctions with direction indicators painted on road in yellow. 4 well stocked feed stations/check in points and good atmosphere. No punctures using Vittoria Pave tyres and quite a few beers at finish.

broken frame and two of party with head injuries/grazes and quite a few droped bottles etc.

hated last 10 or so cobbled sections as if speed drops the shaken goes from violent contant vibrations to major shaking of all all internal organs.

good event - every 2 years, €25 entry on line - think it was cheaper to pre-enter
Bloody Hell, well done, That's gotta be a torturous ride, you daft cucumber
Keep it foolish...
Well done

Those of you with road bikes who have experience of riding 26" mtbs on the road with slicks, what is the difference in your opinion? Reason I ask is that I dont think im massively unfit yet when I ride my old HT on the road with slicks, I struggle to average any more than 14mph over 1-2 hrs even on a flat ride and can only do short sections at higher ie one I noted on strava which was 22mph but only for 2 minutes and yet you did 18.3 average over 131 miles? I have roadie friends, one did a 100 miler this weekend averaging 17.9, I just dont get it, either road bikes are much quicker or I am much less fit than I thought and should just give up!
I've got both breezer, and the shoddy old roadbike is faster and smoother. I think it's the geometry, giving a more efficient pedalling position, combined with a little less weight.
Keep it foolish...
What Mike said, although I dont find my slick shod HT too much of a problem and Mike kept a fairly decent pace with Ryan on a knobbly MTB recently.

When I did the hell of the ashdown on the slicked up full sus I managed an average of 15.4mph over the 66 mile course and we werent going for it either, probably could have managed an 18 average without too much issue.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:What Mike said, although I dont find my slick shod HT too much of a problem and Mike kept a fairly decent pace with Ryan on a knobbly MTB recently.

Mike would've destroyed me had he been on a road bike.

One difference that hasn't been mentioned yet is aerodynamics.  Bar width on most roadies is 420 or 440mm, resulting in your hands being about shoulder's width apart.  Your arms then catch much less air.  The front end height is lower too, also giving a smaller frontal area to create wind resistance.

Drafting when riding in a group is also a huge part of the high average speeds you see on long road rides.  If you have a group of 4 or 5 people, you'll go about 2 mph faster than you would solo.
"Breezer" Wrote:Well done

Those of you with road bikes who have experience of riding 26" mtbs on the road with slicks, what is the difference in your opinion? Reason I ask is that I dont think im massively unfit yet when I ride my old HT on the road with slicks, I struggle to average any more than 14mph over 1-2 hrs even on a flat ride and can only do short sections at higher ie one I noted on strava which was 22mph but only for 2 minutes and yet you did 18.3 average over 131 miles? I have roadie friends, one did a 100 miler this weekend averaging 17.9, I just dont get it, either road bikes are much quicker or I am much less fit than I thought and should just give up!

thanks

so much less weight and rolling resistance in road tyres plus for hours out of house on a bike road rides/training etc you get so much more riding.

Sunday had a slight tailwing and road on/in small groups for just under 1/3rd  or so. Loads of chasing back on as got slightly dropped on first 15 or so cobble sections. Last 70km was mostly on own or with 1 other who I could drop on cobbles and rode some road sections in turns if he chased back on.

Anyway was doing 4 -6 hour solo rides in May around Kent with Charing Hill and White Hill in at just over 18mph with 5 mins or less stop time.

Have ridden really heavy MTB with slicks but 10plus years ago on L2B type events- on occasional road bike rides in 2010 2009 etc with MTB good fitness XC racing - could do 16-17.5mph averages for 2-3 hours so reckon its at least 2 - 3 mph faster than MTB with slicks. Reckon m occasional rides on a 35plus MTB with slicks were at less than 14mph.

Group rides on road with turns at front and fairly competive club runs and sessions averaging 22mph for over an hour do push fitness up and riding from home 10-12 hours a week outside house on road bike got in over 700 miles in May. You also avoid towns and roads with lots of junctions/turnings more as risk of car incidents at junctions being slightly more serious is higher if doing 22-25mph most of time on flat - so less stopping and turns also helps averages. HRM also helps monitor how hard to push and know when to back off a little. Outside on MTB racing most MT rides have lots of stops etc so unless riding up loads of hills on downs its hard to get similar high heart rtae threshold training sessions.
I do ride on the road a fair bit and 98% of my rides are by myself so not much stopping. I dug the HRM out a week ago and the results were quite odd. I simply couldnt get my HR much above 175 when pushing as hard as I could in the saddle. Got out of the saddle and could hit the normal 200 fine. In a mtb race I will average 195, can only presume its because its using your whole body more etc

Pre injury I had a training loop with 2 long hills and I did manage to set my best time on my Spark with worn mud x compared to my old HT with slicks, the Spark did feel like I could use the power more like Mike said. It would be interesting to try a road bike just to see.

I cant get down low on them though. I borroed a friends for the HOTA a couple of years back and even with a flipped up stem I rarely used the drops as my back/neck cant take it

Treacle: I averaged about 10mph on a road bike on the HOTA!! Sad Sad
same for me with the neck/back thing, very rare that I use the drops.
Keep it foolish...
I can't spend more than a minute or two in the drops.  My frame is sized properly, but it's 5 years old, with very racy long-and-low geometry.  Most new bikes in the same size (58cm) are 10-15mm shorter TT with 20-40mm longer HT.  That's not even counting the "comfort" bikes like Spesh Roubaix.  Bike manufactures have now figured out that the masses can't ride in the same position as the pros, and have changed bike geometry accordingly.  That's why you now see pros riding 140mm -17deg stems, so that they can get low enough on regular bikes.