This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zee clutch rear mechs
Look like start of July, nice and cheap for you people with incorrect 1x10 gearing, can flog your expensive chain devices as well and replace with one of these and just a cheap top guide

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...elID=82431
Just a budget saint isnt it ?
Think I'll stick with the x0 :K)
Point being it has the clutch to stop most chain slap.....Sram coming out with their own similar thing though
I was reading something somewhere, maybe a video or even a conversation a while ago about how the clutch raises it's own issues. Without one the mech spring absorbs a lot of energy which doesn't get absorbed when the mech hardly moves, the result being that the mech needs to be stronger to cope with the energy which isn't being absorbed by the spring. This obviously will apply not just to the cage, but the bolts, bushings and bearings in the wheels. I'd be interested to know if there is anyone on here who owns one of these new silent mechs and how you're getting on with it.
Wearing our wheel bearings more?  :Smile   I dont recall reading reports of premature wheel bearing failures by SS riders or those with Alfines etc?!

Although as it seems bike component companies only test their products for 3 hours, who knows... (although to be fair drivetrains work quite well, seatposts however....)
Just to be clear I mean chain wheels not rear wheel.
I'm thinking of going 1x10 on the kona and getting this.
"Jams" Wrote:I'm thinking of going 1x10 on the kona and getting this.

Go 2x10.
"Blackers" Wrote:Go 2x10.

And while you're at it go 80mm 29"?
it Maybe a silly question but does anyone know if any of these "clutch" rear mechs could be made to work with 9 speed??