This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forks vs Bike
Been considering some Devilles for quite a while now but have got to thinking that for the same money I could buy a long travel hardtail for winter hacking.
Not sure how i would get on with a hardtail so cant decide where my cash would be best spent.
Im keen to have a cheap bike i can just throw in the shed wet and not worry about it, but as it would be a basic model I may just end up frustrated with under performing bits?

Any thoughts?
Do you suffer from back pain at all? I do and hardtails ruin me.

Nigel seems quite happy with his winter proof Sovereign though. It makes perfect sense to looose the suspension if you are going to slog it through mud.
For me id go for the hardtail, having some thing you can hack around in the mud with no worries about destroying it is fun, i love my bfe and the crush of lauras that mark has now has are great bikes, nice and slack angles that you can ride off most stuff anywhere Smile
PRACTICALITIES:

Are you certain that the hardtail you want can run a single ring...?  
Could you really leave a bike in the shed all wet...?  
Would you actually be prepared to hack in the winter mud...?
Is pedalling around on a cheap bike really for you...?
How long before you replace all the under performing bits...?

and can you seriously cope without the super essential new forks...?

I would really like to think you will get a hardtail (& love it) - but I think the forks will inevitably have it by a whisker Tongue
"DaisyDaring" Wrote:PRACTICALITIES:

Are you certain that the hardtail you want can run a single ring...?  the one im looking at comes with a single ring
Could you really leave a bike in the shed all wet...?  maybe/maybe not
Would you actually be prepared to hack in the winter mud...? on a hardtail yes
Is pedalling around on a cheap bike really for you...? its the forks and brakes that would be the issue
How long before you replace all the under performing bits...? thats the trouble

and can you seriously cope without the super essential new forks...? probably, but doesnt to mojo deserve some Devilles?

I would really like to think you will get a hardtail (& love it) - but I think the forks will inevitably have it by a whisker Tongue
Hardtail? Really? Dude, you'll be buying lights and going on weekly night rides at this rate..... All COMPLETELY overrated.
"DaisyDaring" Wrote:PRACTICALITIES:

Would you actually be prepared to hack in the winter mud...? on a hardtail yes

Well in that case, please get a hardtail.  Forks in December... Wink
" Wrote:Hardtail? Really? Dude, you'll be buying lights and going on weekly night rides at this rate.....[b"] All COMPLETELY overrated[/b].

...and how would you know Undecided
"DaisyDaring" Wrote:...and how would you know Undecided

Been there, done that. I still have a hardtail.
[quote author=]

Been there, done that. I still have a hardtail.[/quote]

Weekly night rides are awesome tho... Tongue