This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alps Insurance and general advice!
Yo!

Very excited about my forthcoming alps trip a week Friday!  Smile Has anyone got any suggestions for insurance companies to use and how much I should expect to pay for 5 days riding?

We are going to be staying in Chatel, and doing the Pass'portes on the Sunday so this should give us a really good idea for the whole area. But does anyone have any suggestions for places which are a must ride?? We shall be generally riding 150/160mm travel bikes if it makes any difference?  8)
I got mine through Dogtag mate
"brew" Wrote:I got mine through Dogtag mate

Dogtag.co.uk

covered me for the megaavalanch and last year in Morzine and this year
BTW you have to do the Chatel Road Gap  ;D
I'm with dogtag too, yearly for me as they cover uk holidays too as well as climbing / bouldering . I figure a trip to Wales etc counts as a uk holiday
Keep it foolish...
"Deadpool2e" Wrote:BTW you have to do the Chatel Road Gap  ;D

+1. You'll kick yourself if you don't, I am still kicking myself now!
Re. Insurance. Make sure you read the policy wording. Look for exclusions relating to dangerous sports. Ask the insurer specifically if you need too.
Dont just buy the cheapest. And ensure the limits for medical expenses and personal liability are nice and high. Dont underestimate the cost of what might happen,  but probably wont.
And once again read the policy wording.
Nearly all complaints about claims not being paid could be avoided if the policyholders had read the policy wording.
Lots of respect for dogtag then. They want 40 quid for basic cover which seems ok I guess?

"Deadpool2e" Wrote:BTW you have to do the Chatel Road Gap  ;D

Once the insurance is done maybe I will. Ha. Oh and once I have grown some great big balls!!
I've used snowcard before but luckily never had to claim.

If you're staying in Chatel then I'd head over to Morgins to have a look. There aren't many runs there but they're generally a lot smoother (i.e. not as many braking bumps as morzine/lg/chatel) as it doesn't get the traffic. One of the tracks has a pretty big gap in it but everything big will have a chicken run.

The chatel tracks are all good fun - they end in Pre la joux so guess you'll coast down the road to get back home. There are a few north shore tracks in Chatel (called shore 1, 2, 3 etc.). One of them, (can't remember which) gets quite skinny and brings you out at a stream drop/gap that you can't really back out of. It's worth having a look at before riding it - follow the tracks that run along side it (you'll see what I mean).

The swiss national track is pretty fun - starts at the top of the mossette lift dropping into les croset. Think it's the red run on the map.

I'm not too keen on the tracks in Crosets and haven't ridden champery but you probably know it's reputation (STEEP).

There's some good stuff around Morzine. You'll ride a long switch-back trail dropping in from the Avoriaz side into Morzine on the passportes. It's not on the map (not a dh track) but good fun and I think you can ride it anytime.

On the pleney side of the hill the main track gets pretty bumpy and busy. Have a look at attray - there's a nice little gulley-run that starts behind a small bar in Attray. It drops down to the Pleney lift.

In Les Gets the stuff over by the Nauchets lift is all fairly new. You can do more of an xc loop (as in a couple of small climbs) if you ride away from LG from the top of the Nauchets lift towards Lac de Joux Plane. You come back round the other side of the hill and pickup the red that goes from the Chavanne back to Morzine.

You can drop in to Samoens - the route down is great fun but the climb out is pretty horrible (no lift). If you're setting off from Chatel it would probably be too long to do in one day anyway.

If the weather looks stormy don't rely on lifts to get you home!

Trail map is here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.portesdusoleil.com/images/upload/portfolio_img/portes_du_soleil_vtt_2012_v5_hd.pdf">http://www.portesdusoleil.com/images/up ... _v5_hd.pdf</a><!-- m -->
Cheers John Boy! Wink

Will look at your maps and read a little more in detail when I can.  8)