This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear mech  cage size
Hi I  need to replace my rear mech but dont know what size I need . ( long or short or medium cage )
I  have a 9 speed Sram x7 rear mech on the mtb at the moment but dont know what size it is .
"Mister B" Wrote:Hi I  need to replace my rear mech but dont know what size I need . ( long or short or medium cage )
I  have a 9 speed Sram x7 rear mech on the mtb at the moment but dont know what size it is .

It won't be short as I believe they only do those in X0. My guess would be as its X7 it'll be a long. The medium cage one is 75mm between centres of the two jockey wheels
hello dude I have been wrong before but its more to do with what front rings your running. If its a dh rear cassette on a single ring at the front its a short cage, if its a double rig at the front and not running much bigger than a 38ish 9 speed its a medium cage. But if you’re running a triple ring with a 42 or more, best to go for a long cage. Like i say i have been fouled before, and i know a lot of people cheat and use a medium and get away with it.
Get the impression it's for a direct replacement for what he already has. It won't be short, and if it's longer than 75mm centre to centre then it's a long cage. I run a medium cage with a triple no problems  ;D
gotta weigh in and say skidz is right here as a rule of thumb. you can use a medium on a triple ring so lagging your are fine as long as your chain is not to tight in in 1st and remember chain length increase on a full sus at full travel. but as for advice to what size mech to  get then med would be better no point running a long if a medium will do but really we need to know what setup your running..and a short cage can be used on non close ratio cassettes i run a short saint on a 11-34t.
Yeah but Mister B is asking what size is he currently running not what size can I run
What Lagging said. A like for like replacement is likely to be a long cage, its rare to see anything other in my experience unless its a DH rig.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"Mister B" Wrote:Hi I  need to replace my rear mech but dont know what size I need . ( long or short or medium cage )

What bike and year is it? Can't the original spec be found?
Man were making this sooooo complicated..
Hi thanks for the advice  My bike is a cannondale F4 xc hard tail  frame with  mavic 717  rims on superstar hubs , hayes stroker trail brakes with floating discs,
SLX  3 chain ring crank , Braided hose , Hope BB ,  superstar nano padals , Pure Natural dropper seat post , Carbon  FSA bars an stem , Rockshock Recon forks ,  All the bolts are Titamium ,  
I have a 9 speed Sram  PG 990  rear cassette an want to replace the X7 rear mech with something better .