This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SRAM or Shimano
After reading a few comments on here about drivetrain I thought I'd ask which is better, SRAM or Shimano?

I currently have 1x9 Shimano SLX it seems to need constant adjustment.

I was looking at the Shimano zee but it's not coming out for another month but then I thought maybe SRAM would be best with its 1:1 actuation.
SRAM all the way for me, especially chains as they are so much stronger than shimano
I used Shimano for years. Never any major problems. Then I got a bike with Sram (X7/X9) and it was amazing. Really positive gear changes and incredibly reliable, especially in the mud. So much so I transplanted the drivetrain to the new bike and its still going strong. Though I run Shimano cranks as the Truvativ BBs were codswollop (great word  Smile ) and an XT cassette.

Actually on reflection its just the shifters still going strong as the jockey wheels died at SITS on the old mech, so I slung on a like for like replacement mech.
Sram for me !
have been mainly a sram man for years ,but just gone over to shimano and the new stuff has really come on. Both are great and have no isuses in my book but shimano two way finger trigger and the iso fittings for the greatly inproved xt brakes win for me ;D. Still wouldn't get a shimano chain though, kmc or sram for that.
Prefer the feel of SRAM personally. I am comparing X0 with XT though so I guess it should be a tad better?
Just recently been able to compare SRAM on the new bike to Shimano & have to say that I am already really liking the SRAM - just feels so definite on each gear change
XTR is acceptable, anything less has historically given me grief.
SRAM is just better even at X7.
I love my SRAM X( and XO, but i know people who love xt, What takes your fancy really.

I have used both for years.

I really like early 90's xt, 8spd, with thumbshifters!!