This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another BB question!
Anyone here got a superstar angletech bottom bracket.
I have one & the bearings are now a bit worn & in need of replacement, unfortunately they are out of stock at superstar.
The part number on the bearings is 61805 RS which is an industry standard for a bearing of this size.
I emailed superstar about fitting a 61805 RS, but they ignored that & just stated that their bearing would probably be back in stock at the end of July, I can’t wait that long!
I would just fit some 61805RS bearings from SKF, but the strange thing is that the superstar BB make a big deal of the fact that they use angular contact bearings, which 61805RS are not as they are just standard ball bearings, as far I can make out angular contact bearings aren’t available in the37x25x7 size.

Any bearing anoraks out there care to comment?
or shall I just shut up & fit 81805rs?

Andy
I would just get the 61805 RS's for now, then get the angular ones when they wear out. Would be a good test to see if angular bearings actually last any longer Wink Are the Ti bearings the same size? I was just looking at their BB's wondering if i could just get a cheapie for now and replace with Ti at a later date.
They are just standard bearing's and Superstar ones will not be SKF!

Dimensions are here
Normally a bearing starting with a "6" is a single row deep groove ball bearing.So, not tapered or angular contact.

My dealings with superstar are not that great. They or he, does not like challange especially when you know you are right. Always intresting when superstar run out of stuff and never re-stock. Usually with something I ,and others have had problems with.

Yes, most of their stuff is cheap and comes from Tiawan, but most bike stuff does. But the far east is capable of well engineered products.i.e stuff that has been designed, has clever sums to back it up, and works.rather than someones good idea that looks like it should work.
If the bearings say 61805 RS on them, then they are not angular contact bearings.
S71805 would be the angular contact equivalent.

Easy to tell is that on an single row Angular Contact bearing it looks different from each side.
A 6 series bearing is identical both sides.

FWIW I can't see any particular advantage of angular contact bearings in a BB! Just buy some replacement 61805 RS bearings.

I'd guess that Superstar had no angular contacts in stock when they assembled the kit so used the 61805 RS ones that you have.
"Tinc" Wrote:If the bearings say 61805 RS on them, then they are not angular contact bearings.
S71805 would be the angular contact equivalent.

Easy to tell is that on an single row Angular Contact bearing it looks different from each side.
A 6 series bearing is identical both sides.

FWIW I can't see any particular advantage of angular contact bearings in a BB! Just buy some replacement 61805 RS bearings.

I'd guess that Superstar had no angular contacts in stock when they assembled the kit so used the 61805 RS ones that you have.

That is exactly what I suspected but was hoping someone in the know would confirm that without me prompting.
I shall challenge them as to why they are selling BBs marketed as angular contact when they have regular ball races in.

I do like their stuff & it's great that it is designed to be rebuilt, but winds me up if I'm not getting what I paid for!

Thanks Andy