This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eye to eye shock length, giant trance 2 06?
Hi guy's, can anyone tell me what the eye to eye shock length of a giant trance 2006 should be?

Thanks

Hugh
"hugh_b" Wrote:Hi guy's, can anyone tell me what the eye to eye shock length of a giant trance 2006 should be?

Thanks

Hugh

Not sure but think its 165mm, will have a search though. Whats the prob?
Basically me and a friend had noticed it wasn't returning fully and was actually doing a mild "stick down" so i was loosing 10mm of travel, my friend however has spoken to an ex fox technician and as-long as your careful this is all fixable yourself as he had to do his the day before! We have now done exactly as the technician says and it's back to normal so i hope it doesn't happen again.

Apparently it's something to do with + air seeping into the - air space due to lack of use, possibly because it's been sat in the box since it was made and has only just been used. If it happens again i will send it back.

Has anyone else experienced this, would it be advisable to send it back anyway?

-Hugh
Yeah thats called Suck down, happens as you say. Removing the air sleeve normally cures it and will come off with a pop as youve proberly expereienced. Normally happens as a result of worn seals, so not sure why it would happen on a brand new shock but if its been sitting around for a couple of years i wouldnt be surprised if some air has got into the negative chamber.

You can buy a new seal kit for about £15.
Ok cool, I'm going to get out on it again tomorrow as I'm hoping to go to Swinley on Saturday and  don't want an hours drive to find my shock stuck down in 5 mins!
Think I'll order a seal kit too, if it happens again I'll fit new seals but fingers crossed it won't. Smile

Thanks

Hugh
its £10

http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/foxsealkits.htm

I need to order one to really, my seals are on the way out.
I think there was actually a problem with fox shocks one year and a very high percentage of shocks suffered from this suck down, a new/correct seal cured it iirc
"Breezer" Wrote:I think there was actually a problem with fox shocks one year and a very high percentage of shocks suffered from this suck down, a new/correct seal cured it iirc

Yeah, i have read that however there is also a lot of evidence that it's not just a particular year that had problems, it seems all of them do it. If it happens again i may just send it back and get them to sort it as it shouldn't happen.

thanks for the help guy's

Hugh
I opened a stuck down shock once and it made the loudest bang i've ever heard, except maybe the time i actually blew up a tyre in my front room...  It was like a gunshot!
So is this common with bikes that have sat around for some time?

My trance arrived today, and could it be a possibility that the same "could" have occured with mine?

What do I need to look for?

Im not saying it has, but I need to learn about these things.