This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres for Afan
Any advice would be welcome.

So week after next Roberto and a couple of others are off to Afan.
Choice in stock range from...

fat Alberts in 2.25
Nobly nicks in 2.1
Panaracers Cinders in 2.25
S works storms

Or of course your favourite.oh,and I tend to run tubeless.

Thanks
High rollers without question for me, wet Afan rock can be slippery, these never missed a beat.
Quite fancy something on the front with a bit more grip than the fat Albert.maybe it's shite because it has the "performance" rubber. But have considered a high roller".......
"BMJBOY" Wrote:High rollers without question for me, wet Afan rock can be slippery, these never missed a beat.

That was the case a couple of years ago. Every question about tyres on Sketchy got answered with the words "just buy high rollers" (or mud X in the winter) but since then everyone seems to have become a tyre snob. If its not a "folding wired black mamba rubber chilli bitch queen" that is puncture and tubeless ready, weighs less than 5g and cost at least £60 each, people aren't interested.
Alright Roberto, I was interested to see that you are considering the Panaracer Cinder tyre. It's not one that ever gets mentioned on here, but my GF runs these on her Marin in the size you are considering and they are pretty good. They are not very fast rolling as the central lugs are quite widely spread, but they do corner well as the side lugs are large and well supported. They use the same compound as the trailraker, which appears to be a good thing. Dunno about their weight though, similar to others? The only downside is that GF managed to put an inch long split in the sidewall of hers at Aston Hill, but this was on some very rough trail and I'd assume that any tyre would have fared similarly under the same conditions (she is very fat and rides like an oaf)

Whilst I've not set hers up to run tubeless I have noticed that they are a fairly slack fit on the bead, which may not be ideal, but all tyre / rim combos differ.

Have a great time in Wales!
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:Alright Roberto, I was interested to see that you are considering the Panaracer Cinder tyre. It's not one that ever gets mentioned on here, but my GF runs these on her Marin in the size you are considering and they are pretty good. They are not very fast rolling as the central lugs are quite widely spread, but they do corner well as the side lugs are large and well supported. They use the same compound as the trailraker, which appears to be a good thing. Dunno about their weight though, similar to others? The only downside is that GF managed to put an inch long split in the sidewall of hers at Aston Hill, but this was on some very rough trail and I'd assume that any tyre would have fared similarly under the same conditions (she is very fat and rides like an oaf)

Whilst I've not set hers up to run tubeless I have noticed that they are a fairly slack fit on the bead, which may not be ideal, but all tyre / rim combos differ.

Have a great time in Wales!

Hahaha, pray she doesnt join the forum anytime soon!  Big Grin
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"redwinnie" Wrote:That was the case a couple of years ago. Every question about tyres on Sketchy got answered with the words "just buy high rollers" (or mud X in the winter) but since then everyone seems to have become a tyre snob. If its not a "folding wired black mamba rubber chilli bitch queen" that is puncture and tubeless ready, weighs less than 5g and cost at least £60 each, people aren't interested.

I agree, the flavour of the question has come on somewhat, but the essentials remain the same.

I wouldnt ride Afan on anything else - I did start Whites Level on Moutain King, but soon come straight back to swap!!
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I wouldnt ride.

FTFY  Tongue
I rode then..... not so much lately..   Sad
Any normal all round tyre will do for afan, its rocky so plenty of grip, just dont go for a mud oriented tyre as you do not need these.

Fat Albert would be my choice out of them.