This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling BBQ experts
I'm the proud new owner of a Charcoal kettle type BBQ with a lid but need some advice. The bricketts I'm using says the should burn for a good few hours, the problem I have is they dont. I'm sure this is just user erro on my part.
So the question is, how do I make them last longer. I have vents on the top & bottom but cant really find any advice as to whether these should be opened, closed, half open etc etc
I would imagine the wider they are open, the faster the burn as more air is getting in to fuel the fire.

Just guessing. Perhaps you just need a less furious fire to start with?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:I would imagine the wider they are open, the faster the burn as more air is getting in to fuel the fire.

Just guessing. Perhaps you just need a less furious fire to start with?

Yeah, my next plan was to close them totally & see how that goes, I was just hoping to skip a few trail & error methjods if someone knew the answer
I'd also like to know if you find out!  My webber cooking book said about roasting a joint of meat in it, but there is no chance it will stay hot enough to do that
"paul_f" Wrote:I'd also like to know if you find out!  My webber cooking book said about roasting a joint of meat in it, but there is no chance it will stay hot enough to do that

Snap  Big Grin Big Grin
I think the trick is open vents to get the thing going, then close off once ready to cook.

It also depends on the charcoal used, cheap supermarket stuff never lasts long, although its cheaper to keep chucking some on than buy the more expensive stuff.

I cooked all evening for over 15 people, using 3 self lighting cheapo-supermarket bags. And thats on a Chiminea system, which is every open to the air.
I dont have a problem with mine.

I use gas  Undecided  Big Grin
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up :lol:
Si.Ozzy should be able to offer some advice.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I think the trick is open vents to get the thing going, then close off once ready to cook.

It also depends on the charcoal used, cheap supermarket stuff never lasts long, although its cheaper to keep chucking some on than buy the more expensive stuff.

I cooked all evening for over 15 people, using 3 self lighting cheapo-supermarket bags. And thats on a Chiminea system, which is every open to the air.

Tried the own brand Dobbies coals then tried the expensive B&Q ones & there wasnt any real difference.
Another question, do you have the coals layered thinly ie a single layer or a bed of charcoal ie several layers thick  Undecided