This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPDs shoes & pedals
Hi all

I'm Lucas. New to the forum. Few people I have riden with from EKMB on facebook told me about this, so I thought I should come see what all the fuss is about  Wink

Anyhow, I'm thinking about clipping myself in. I haven't got a clue what to look out for when choosing pedals & shoes so any advice is welcomed. I usually ride around Blean Woods and occasionally go to Wales.

Shoes seem to have stiffness ratings and some pedals have a cage, trail specific & other not. What combo should I be looking for?

Cheers everone
As a 20 year user of SPDs i would suggest that you buy cheap pedals (about 20 quid) and some cheap shoes. Clipless isnt for everybody but it is important to give it a decent crack of the whip.
I prefer a race type shoe myself. But you can get shoes that are more suitable for walking too.
And welcome to the forum.  Smile
Hey Lucas

Good to see you here!  I have some spd 520s you can borrow for a while to see if you like them.  I tried clipped in last year & failed miserably.  But with more determination this time around, after 3 months I can honestly say there is no turning back.  They increase the power of your pedalling & I feel so much more secure clipped in, especially down the steep stuff.  I now have XTR pedals on my new bike which I highly recommend - although quite pricey; well worth it in my humble opinion Smile
My pennies worth - I'd go for some pedals with a cage round them, that way if you can't clip in straight away you have a platform so you can at least pedal til you snap in.
"Blackers" Wrote:As a 20 year user of SPDs i would suggest that you buy cheap pedals (about 20 quid) and some cheap shoes. Clipless isnt for everybody but it is important to give it a decent crack of the whip.
I prefer a race type shoe myself. But you can get shoes that are more suitable for walking too.
And welcome to the forum.  Smile

Thanks for the welcome guys & quick replies. I'm thinking of a hiking looking shoe. What kind of stiffness should I look to get? I understand the stiffer the shoe the more power to put to the pedal, but I'd imagine at some sort of cost to comfort?
"DaisyDaring" Wrote:Hey Lucas

Good to see you here!  I have some spd 520s you can borrow for a while to see if you like them.  I tried clipped in last year & failed miserably.  But with more determination this time around, after 3 months I can honestly say there is no turning back.  They increase the power of your pedalling & I feel so much more secure clipped in, especially down the steep stuff.  I now have XTR pedals on my new bike which I highly recommend - although quite pricey; well worth it in my humble opinion Smile

Thanks, I might take you up on that Smile Just have to find myself some shoes! I was just eyeing up the XTR pedals on CRC. They are some  8) looking dudes.

I've been looking at these too :

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M064-SPD-MTB-Mountain-Bike-Cycle-Shoes-/280870084694?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Athletic_Shoes_ET&var=&hash=item4165296056">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M064- ... 4165296056</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300737066450?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649">http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300737066450? ... 1438.l2649</a><!-- m -->
&quot;Avril19&quot; Wrote:My pennies worth - I'd go for some pedals with a cage round them, that way if you can't clip in straight away you have a platform so you can at least pedal til you snap in.

Thats a good shout. Does the bigger platform need to certain shoe or all SPD shoes ok?

Ta
All SPD shoes are good...It's just the cleats that have to be compatible.  
Shimano original kit IMHO if you can from the off. Doesn't have to be that expensive either. I did just that, and have never gone back.

eBay is your friend, shimano SPd pedals are bullet proof and last forever, as blackers stated, go for some race type shoes, any from the body geometry bg series is a great start.

Stick with shimano SPd before going mental and playing with egg eaters or something of that flavour.
I went the same way as Blackers suggest cheap as to see if you get on with them first..