This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single speed commuter
Some advice needed,

I'm building up a single speed commuter, im looking at this,

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10009">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10009</a><!-- m -->

My question is, can i run a normal chain or do i need a single speed one?
you can use a normal chain, bmx and single speed chains are usually 1/8th size (wider) than normal chains. That cog is a normal width one, so the slimmer 'normal' chain will fit just fine.
Keep it foolish...
Cheers!  Smile
when you fit the tensioner, try to keep the chain as short as possible and the tensioner as horizontal as you can, it helps to keep it running smoothly.
Keep it foolish...
Will do, thanks again!
Have a check on Superstar for singlespeed set ups.

I have a Gusset tensioner and sprocket on mine which has been fine, Halfords do a halfways sensible range of chains for SS in 1/18th flavour for about £9 Wink
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
&quot;stayhigh65&quot; Wrote:Have a check on Superstar for singlespeed set ups.

I have a Gusset tensioner and sprocket on mine which has been fine, Halfords do a halfways sensible range of chains for SS in 1/18th flavour for about £9 Wink

Thanks, i've been eyeing up one of those red sprockets on superstar for a while.
So would it be better to run a SS chain over a standard one in a single speed setup?
I would say yes.  The SS chain is thicker & stronger then a standard one so will be happier putting up with the load going through it.  It should also take longer to strech.

Have you thought about what ratio you'll be using? 32:16/18 is a fairly common starting point but you may find it a bit spinny if your commute is very flat.  I run 32:16 on mine and my commute is 11miles miles with 4 hill sections which are ok in this ratio but is spinny on the flat so thinking of changing mine.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
I'm going to run 36/16. Just because that's what I've got and I'm trying to keep the cost down.

My commute to work is less than 2 miles each way, so I reckon I will be fine with that.