This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climbing
Hi guys. I'm new to the site but have been reading it for a little while.
I hoped you could help me with something.
I'm back on the bike after a 10 -or-so year absence and am using it as a way of getting fit as well as getting me out in the fresh air.
I'm a "big" guy (approx 250 lbs and around 5"10) and I'm enjoying the riding, but I really struggle to climb.
My legs feel pretty strong on the whole, and I find it impossible on the really low gears, finding that its easier if I have something to push against.
Is there any particular training I could be doing to help my climbing, or is it just a case or persisting until I can tolerate longer distances/steeper inclines?
Thanks
Luckily the only really effective way to train for cycling is to cycle Wink
You need to try & keep a high cadence. Takes a while, but it is training after all.
I find squats helps the cycling muscles. I went through a spat of doing them regularly and it definitely seemed to help. Can't seem to keep up any exercise apart from biking though!

Welcome to the forum!
"Topcat" Wrote:Hi guys. I'm new to the site but have been reading it for a little while.
I hoped you could help me with something.
I'm back on the bike after a 10 -or-so year absence and am using it as a way of getting fit as well as getting me out in the fresh air.
I'm a "big" guy (approx 250 lbs and around 5"10) and I'm enjoying the riding, but I really struggle to climb.
My legs feel pretty strong on the whole, and I find it impossible on the really low gears, finding that its easier if I have something to push against.
Is there any particular training I could be doing to help my climbing, or is it just a case or persisting until I can tolerate longer distances/steeper inclines?
Thanks

Hill repeats mate, i'm a biggy as well, 16.5 stone at 5ft 10in, but funnily i like to climb.

I'm mainly a roadie, and on the road bike i'm out of the saddle, find a comfortable gear you can turn easily but whilst actually maintaining/increasing speed on the climb and not just spinning/slowing, and find a nice momentum of leaning the bike slightly left/right, i love the feeling of climbing out of the saddle comfortably like this.

In the MTB, i'm in the saddle, but the same without leaning the bike.

If you want to be a good hill climber, then you need to head for the hills and do 'hill repeats'.

Although all the best climbers in the tour de france are lightweights with hollow bones, outside of the tour, doesn't mean you can't be a good climber.

I've dropped various guys whilst out on road rides who are a lot lighter than me on hills, purely because i love the challenge (of climbing hills) and a lot of it is mental as well as physical.

If you're local to me, i might even dust off the MTB and take it for a spin with ya!  Big Grin