This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavic complete wheels....crossmax sx
Looking for some new wheels, currently have hope hoops with flow rims which i'll keep as spares. The hopes have always been good value for money but i keep dinging the rims.

Tempted to try a pair of mavic crossmax sx wheels but they are not cheap! Has anyone tried or does anyone own the crossmax sx wheels? The reviews online seem good but it's a lot of money to spend so want to get it right!

Hugh
Just bought a Canyon that came with the Crossmax SX wheels.
Really light and feel really firm. Look great too.
The UST feature is an obvious bonus and the "ITS-4" design gets rids of nearly all of that annoying pedal lag.
Definitely worth the money...IMO...!  Wink
Dude, they are the nuts. They are almost as strong as the Deemax wheels but weigh nothing and don't flex much. Also, they look good  8)

What kind of tyre pressures are you running if you're denting your rims? Changing the wheels isn't gonna fix that.
I'm running about 28 in the back, 27 in the front, sometimes 1-2 psi more in each. I didn't have any particularly big dings but the dents say otherwise! A mate who weighs about a stone more runs about 24-26 psi on hoops with ex500 rims and doesn't have one dent...he's not particularly smooth either! Might just be bad luck.

Having trouble justifying the extra for the mavics, a little worried about spare spokes etc. Looking at the weight the deemax ultimate are only about 60-80g more over the hoops/flows so i think they might be best if i do decide to stump up the dosh.
mavic off  the mp3 replacement programme iirc. any probs in 2 yrs and they send new ones!!!!
"hugh_b" Wrote:I'm running about 28 in the back, 27 in the front, sometimes 1-2 psi more in each. I didn't have any particularly big dings but the dents say otherwise! A mate who weighs about a stone more runs about 24-26 psi on hoops with ex500 rims and doesn't have one dent...he's not particularly smooth either! Might just be bad luck.

Having trouble justifying the extra for the mavics, a little worried about spare spokes etc. Looking at the weight the deemax ultimate are only about 60-80g more over the hoops/flows so i think they might be best if i do decide to stump up the dosh.

Sailor ran Deemax wheels on his blood a year or two ago and found the change to flows made a massive improvement on the rotational weight. The advertised weight however is less than my hope hoops which are ~2050 grams with Mavic 721 rims. Admitedly they are DH rims and when I run anything but a super fast tyre I suffer on trail rides.
You can't go wrong with the crossmax and you are not going to break them. The spokes are about as thick as your little finger and super light and they can take a massive beating. You're more likely to dent the rim.

Also...
Crossmax SX Weight (pair of wheels): 1755 grams
Deemax Ultimate Weight (pair of wheels): 1965 grams

Anything but a full DH rig I'd go crossmax.

As a side note, are you still running highrollers front and back? Maybe you have just had a spot of bad luck.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dirt.mpora.com/news/2012-dirt-100-mavic-crossmax-sx.html">http://dirt.mpora.com/news/2012-dirt-10 ... ax-sx.html</a><!-- m -->
&quot;jedi&quot; Wrote:mavic off  the mp3 replacement programme iirc. any probs in 2 yrs and they send new ones!!!!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mavic-mp3.com">http://www.mavic-mp3.com</a><!-- m -->
Strange hugh, my flows are 2 years old now and ive only dented the rear once and broken one spoke.
Thanks guys, decided against the mavics in the end as the flows are too much of a bargain. Used the extra 10% off week on wiggle and got some for just under £270 for a set.

Are you still running the rubber queens Russ? A mate is running the new high roller 2's and hasn't suffered any dents as they are much higher volume. Thinking of trying the rubber queen's myself!
&quot;hugh_b&quot; Wrote:Thanks guys, decided against the mavics in the end as the flows are too much of a bargain. Used the extra 10% off week on wiggle and got some for just under £270 for a set.

Are you still running the rubber queens Russ? A mate is running the new high roller 2's and hasn't suffered any dents as they are much higher volume. Thinking of trying the rubber queen's myself!

Been running queens on my flows, still managed to get some interesting wobbles on the rims. Planning on taking them in for truing this week. Also been thinking of some crossmax.

I tend to be hard on wheels, the deemax were the only set I never took in for truing (they were only ever slightly out), some sets I had to take in 3 or 4 times.