This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottle cage mounts
Got a bit of a problem with my Whyte frame - I was cleaning it today and decided to take off my front crud catcher which was attached to the frame with two bolts. The bolts and bosses are identical to the water bottle cage mounts.

When undoing one of the bolts it was very stiff and after removal there appears to be damage to the thread at the end. I don't recall having any problems with cross threading when I put it in, but that's how it looks now.

The original bolt cannot be used again and it looks like the boss needs repair. I was anticipating using a tap and die set to do this, but need to buy one first and also a replacement bolt. Is there a standard bolt/thread size for this type of thing? The bolts from my old '96 Kona seem to fit perfectly. And am I going about this the right way?
You may well find that as you have undone the bolt it has picked up in the tread which is the damage you may be due to this. I always put copper slip grease on any bolts like this when I fit them as it seem to help stop the bolts being tight to get out.
If you find a nut and bolt shop a lot of them sell single taps if you do not want to buy a set and will sort out new bolts if you take an old one in and every frame I have seen use the same bolts for bottle cages. It should retap if you take your time and use some grease on the tap and then turn it in about half a turn and then back a quarter of a turn which and then carry on this way till it has recut the tread. If you wind the tap straight  in with out turning it backward you can then have a problem when you try to remove the tap from the insert and it will also put a lot more stress on the insert to frame fit.