This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to switch to more of a summer tyre?
Hi guy's, the trails I've been riding recently have dried out considerably, there's still some mucky bits here and there but I'm currently running bontrager mud-x tyres and I wouldn't mind trying something that rolls a little faster and a little wider. What time of year do you guys change your tyres for something a little more summer/spring friendly?

To give you an idea of what i'm looking at switching too I quite like the look of:

-Continental mountain king supersonic with supersonic tubes
-Maxxis advantage with supersonic tubes
-Schwable nobby nic with supersonic tubes

The maxxis is obviously the cheapest but weights a fair bit more than the other two, not sure if I'll notice this though? Any other suggestions welcome. I'd like something around a 2.1-2.2 (i've heard continentals come up very slim)

Hugh
ive got a advantage 2.1, they aer alright in the dry but if you think of riding anything remotely wet they just spin and spin  Big Grin

as for summer tyres ... im clueless  :Smile this summer will be my first ever summer riding XC and i cant wait Tongue
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:ive got a advantage 2.1, they aer alright in the dry but if you think of riding anything remotely wet they just spin and spin  Big Grin

as for summer tyres ... im clueless  :Smile this summer will be my first ever summer riding XC and i cant wait Tongue

Big Grin thats the advantage tyres off the list then! I would ideally like some tyres that are fairly good all round. The nobby nics seem to get good reviews in this area so they may be best for mainly dry with a bit of mud here and there.
"hugh_b" Wrote:Big Grin thats the advantage tyres off the list then! I would ideally like some tyres that are fairly good all round. The nobby nics seem to get good reviews in this area so they may be best for mainly dry with a bit of mud here and there.

I'm not sure and have never used them but I seem to remember various people saying they're quite slow rolling.
Highrollers are great in the dry but also very slow rolling. Personally I'm going with FireXCpro's, good rolling, good in all weather and hardwearing. Had my current set on over a year and plenty of life left in them yet. They do seem to be hugely popular too. I for one trust them in any condition that britain can throw at me.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
I've had my high-rollers on since the summer, and while pretty hard going with mud, they never missed a beat in the summer and at a wet Afan.

I too may start looking to "improve" if I can in the tyre department, my quest is actually on for the most ideal tyre for the Enduro in the dry, and the most perfect for the Mud!

So far, I love the High Rollers, but as mentioned, not the fastest rolling tyre out there - but sure does grip those corners.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:I've had my high-rollers on since the summer, and while pretty hard going with mud, they never missed a beat in the summer and at a wet Afan.

I too may start looking to "improve" if I can in the tyre department, my quest is actually on for the most ideal tyre for the Enduro in the dry, and the most perfect for the Mud!

So far, I love the High Rollers, but as mentioned, not the fastest rolling tyre out there - but sure does grip those corners.

if we where to have a VERY dry summer the high roller SS look quite nice, basically the same but the centre rolling part has been replaced with a diamond low rolling resistance pattern