This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone been to Canada?
Hello,

Im fortuante enough to be going to Canada in september on holiday (wahoo!) and was wondering if anyone on here has been in the past and had any recomendations on what to do and see.

There isnt really a plan yet, but were flying into Calgary and have 10 or so days to hang arround and slowly make our way down to Vancouver way doing whatever we fancy inbetween. Have a hire car to drive about in so could head out from a base point for a few days if there's a good spot to settle in.

I quite fancy 3-4 days of biking (wont be bringing my bike though, have to hire and probably take a guide to see the best bits?) and some whitewater rafting/Kayaking if there are any good places I should check out, cant immagine im going to get a chance to do it again any time soon. Other than that, all visiting suggestions welcome, nature tours, hiking, thermal spa days, bear hunting..

I found ticket2ride who look good for a day arround squamish if I can convince them to stop there, and maybe a day in Whistler way or Vancouver Island but not sure about park days, not exactly the quickest downhill. Prefer a nice singletrack climb to a 30ft gap..

Thanks!
I'm very jealous, would love to do this again one day. We did a Canadian road trip a few years ago. We flew into Calgary and ended up in Vancouver via Banff, Jasper, Kamloops and Whistler. There is a lot of trail riding in the Banff area, but you will need a guide and, as with whitener in the national parks, there are a lot of bears about, so you will need to take some precautions. Jasper and Kamloops both have bike parks, and it would be worth greying up to the north shore in Vancouver if you have the chance. I believe there it's a lot of riding on Grouse mountain. I don't need to tell you about Whistler of course! Unfortunately I was on a family trip, so no riding, but I was pretty rubbish back then so probably would have killed myself anyway! There is a lot to see on the road too, loss of glaciers between Lake Louise and Jasper and a million lakes and waterfalls that are worth seeing. Theres another well known biking spot between Kamloops and Whistler which I can't remember what it's called, it will come to me later.
Oh mate, are you gonna have fun ;D
Do you need books?  We have a collection.

Calgary is a great city, very relaxed, but quite small so a couple of days there should sort you.
Vancouver is one the best cities I've visited.  Really multi cultural, friendly, just stunning.
There's a great market you can get to by water taxi & you can spend the evenings on the beach, in the middle of the city, watching the sun go down - just amazing.

The bit of land between Calgary & Vancouver is some of the most spectacular scenery - just amazing & one of only 2 mountain ranges on the planet that run north/south ;D
Banff is a must see, just a day though.
There's a really cool mountain walk outside of Banff who's name I'll recall later, well worth a look.
Lake Louise is worth a look, but Moraine lake is better IMHO.
Ask at Tourist info in Banff about nature walks - that have some excellent guided walks that get you out into the wilds tracking bears, wolves & watching eagles.   The Hugh benefit is the local knowledge obviously.

If you like water you need to drop by hell's gate (I'm not sure you can get there by road though Undecided). It's an amazing set of rapids - I think they raft there actually.  We saw it from the train, but that's another story.

If you're into nature you can go out & watch the killer whales from Vancouver too 8)

Oh & there's a steam powered clock in Vancouver - I'm so rock & roll 8)

I could go on & on & on, but I won't. :B
"Tinc" Wrote:Oh mate, are you gonna have fun ;D
Do you need books?  We have a collection.

Calgary is a great city, very relaxed, but quite small so a couple of days there should sort you.
Vancouver is one the best cities I've visited.  Really multi cultural, friendly, just stunning.
There's a great market you can get to by water taxi & you can spend the evenings on the beach, in the middle of the city, watching the sun go down - just amazing.

The bit of land between Calgary & Vancouver is some of the most spectacular scenery - just amazing & one of only 2 mountain ranges on the planet that run north/south ;D
Banff is a must see, just a day though.
There's a really cool mountain walk outside of Banff who's name I'll recall later, well worth a look.
Lake Louise is worth a look, but Moraine lake is better IMHO.
Ask at Tourist info in Banff about nature walks - that have some excellent guided walks that get you out into the wilds tracking bears, wolves & watching eagles.   The Hugh benefit is the local knowledge obviously.

If you like water you need to drop by hell's gate (I'm not sure you can get there by road though Undecided). It's an amazing set of rapids - I think they raft there actually.  We saw it from the train, but that's another story.

If you're into nature you can go out & watch the killer whales from Vancouver too 8)

Oh & there's a steam powered clock in Vancouver - I'm so rock & roll 8)

I could go on & on & on, but I won't. :B

I want to live in Vancouver, absolutely love the place, there's so much to do, and you could potentially ski, bike and sit on the beach in the same day if you time it right Smile I saw the steam clock, the geek in me was excited Wink Banff is awesome too, i literally know it like the back of my hand as we've been going skiing there for the last 7 years. You must have a Mountain Man breakfast in Coyotes on Brewer St if you go.

Tinc- Do you mean the walk that takes you up to the Sulfur Mountain gondola station? If so that is a realy nice walk, and would be good to ride down if you are allowed. We walked down it in 3ft of snow a couple of times which was very amusing Smile Getting the gondola to the top of Sulfur Mountain is a must too, as the views are amazing, and there's a nice cafe at the top and a fun walk up to the highest point of the mountain.
There are loads of tours that go from Banff. There's one that takes you along the Parkway to Castle mountain that is supposed to be very good, you are pretty much guaranteed to see lots of moose and bears as it takes you down the old road which was used before they built the freeway, and i believe it takes you to the top of Castle Mountain. Best thing to do is just ask what is worth seeing in the Banff tourist information. There were loads of other cool lakes and waterfalls we stopped to look at on the way to Vancouver, but it was quite a few years ago now and i've forgotten all the names, so i'll get Dad to jog my memory and i'll update this later. Oh and it's quite a regular sight to see bears walking down Banff Avenue! I've heard lots of stories about people having to dive into the nearest shop or hotel, and one person was even attacked by one a few years ago, but that was because he legged it, which is the worst thing you could do.

I agree that Moraine lake is better than Lake Louise. I have an awesome picture from Moraine that i'll try and dig out.

I could also go on forever, i bloody love Canada!
No, not the Sulphur mountain, although that's cool too.
It's the Johnston Falls trail I think.

Oo! Get up onto the Athabaskan glacier too - you can have a ride on a tundra truck & drink 400 year old melt water 8)

Damn! I'm gonna have to get the photo's out now ;D
"Tinc" Wrote:No, not the Sulphur mountain, although that's cool too.
It's the Johnston Falls trail I think.

Oo! Get up onto the Athabaskan glacier too - you can have a ride on a tundra truck & drink 400 year old melt water 8)

Damn! I'm gonna have to get the photo's out now ;D

I was gonna mention the Athabasca glacier, but I couldn't remember what it was called. We did that too and it was awesome. We also did Jontson falls. Good fun wall to get to it and the falls are very impressive too. I'll dig my pics and a few vids out tomorrow, I'm quite proud of some of the pics.
"Treehugger" Wrote:I was gonna mention the Athabasca glacier, but I couldn't remember what it was called. We did that too and it was awesome. We also did Jontson falls. Good fun wall to get to it and the falls are very impressive too. I'll dig my pics and a few vids out tomorrow, I'm quite proud of some of the pics.

When we went the second time the falls were frozen solid & we pushed the pushchair up that trail in sheet ice Big Grin
I have a photo somewhere of me in my sketchy shirt up the trail in -15 or something 8)
Thanks for the suggestions, had a look at some of the bits and it looks incredible.
looks like a trip to a glacier is in order!

Seems there is so much to do and not much time to do it in, lucky my family dont go on holiday to relax
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bushpilotbiking.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;">www.bushpilotbiking.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</a><!-- w --> the best!