This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Entry level suspension upgrade
Im looking around for some advice on buying forks and shocks.
Ive recently started taking mountain biking more seriously and
I definitely need to soften the rear suspension and my forks have
seized up in the past.

Im looking at Rockshox recon forks
and
SR Suntour epicon RS9 LOD shock

Both have had mixed reviews but mostly positive, I think I will need
to upgrade my brakes for this fork aswell.

Thanks
Hi so we can all help a little bit more what bike are they going on and what brakes do you have, just to make sure it will all fit ok.
If your looking cheep & would consider second hand, in my shed I have a pair of Marzocchi Black Elites adjustable travel forks. I bought them by mistake for my lightweight son thinking they were the air adjustable ones but infact they are sprung. He simply didnt have the body weight & I couldnt get hold of a soft spring. Good condition, the decals have seen better days but I also have a original brand new set of the decals waiting to go on. All yours for £80 if your interested.. I'd even deliver & fit them if that was the deal breaker  ;D
"Buzz" Wrote:Hi so we can all help a little bit more what bike are they going on and what brakes do you have, just to make sure it will all fit ok.

I have an old 2004 shotgun xc200 atm I have tektro v brakes, I've noticed new forks are made for disc brakes only.

It would probably be better to get a new bike, but I've been on awesome rides with this beast
"ched" Wrote:I have an old 2004 shotgun xc200 atm I have tektro v brakes, I've noticed new forks are made for disc brakes only.

It would probably be better to get a new bike, but I've been on awesome rides with this beast

I can understand you beeing attached to the bike, i'm still very fond of my 05 Stumpjumper despite it getting a little long in the tooth, but if you are looking at getting new forks, rear shock and brakes, you might be better off looking for a 2nd hand full build. You could get a cracking bike for what you will probably end up  shelling out upgrading your current steed.
New bike time I reckon. And I guarantee that a lot of the love for the old bike will fade when you have something better to polish!  Smile
Id go for the new bike dude, suspension design has come on a lot  in the last few years and changing the shock and forks wont probable make it ride as well as a newer bike. Go for a blast on some test bikes, and i know most people on sketchy are happy for people to try theirs when out riding.
You are welcome to try my Stumpjumper if you are after something cheap. The frame only cost me £200 about 2 years ago, so should be able to pick up a full build for about £350-£400.
All right then I'll save up for something new

I just need to man up and join in on a ride. On average how many people turn up?
coming on a ride is a good way to get advice and get an idea of what sort of bike you want.  You will improve speed and technique too.
No-one gets left behind!

The number of people varies from 0-15+ really, biggest ride I've been on recently was about 12 of us in the pouring rain, but then sometimes when's it nice and dry there are only 2 people, just depends what else people have got going on I guess.

"ched" Wrote:All right then I'll save up for something new

I just need to man up and join in on a ride. On average how many people turn up?