This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afternoon rides Canterbury Area
Hi,

Wondering if anyone is about for an afternoon ride this week from around 3pm? Preferably rides in the Canterbury area, open to suggestions.

I live between Canterbury and Thanet. Routes I know are XC linking up bridleways around Hoath, Sturry, Tyler Hill, and other routes link up bridleways around Wingham, Ash, Adisham.

I don't have any decent lights which is why I'd prefer afternoons from around 3pm.

I Keep intending to go out with Kent Trails but factory shift work usually leaves me requiring too much of a lay in on Saturday morning  :Smile
yup I'm often around for an afternoon ride, could do any day this week. If it's today would have to be within cycling distance of canterbury, but  I'll have a car Thurs and Fri so could do a XC ride out you way..
Let me know when suits.

Andy
Sorry for delay... Was expecting to be notified of reply via email (to mobile).. If it's not too short notice, what about Blean for around 4ish? It will take me about half an hour to get there though.

Alternatively (or as well) I'm thinking about a ride from Adisham tomorrow for 3:30-4ish. I've not ridden from there for sometime but fancy a change to my usual routes.

Cheers,
James.
"sirromj" Wrote:Sorry for delay... Was expecting to be notified of reply via email (to mobile).. If it's not too short notice, what about Blean for around 4ish? It will take me about half an hour to get there though.

Alternatively (or as well) I'm thinking about a ride from Adisham tomorrow for 3:30-4ish. I've not ridden from there for sometime but fancy a change to my usual routes.

Cheers,
James.

A ride from Adisham sounds alright to me, I'm in Littlebourne, so it's not too far to get to, I don't think I have anything going on tomorrow, but I can keep you posted!
Thanks Andy for leading the way around Blean this afternoon.

"p5ym0n" Wrote:A ride from Adisham sounds alright to me, I'm in Littlebourne, so it's not too far to get to, I don't think I have anything going on tomorrow, but I can keep you posted!

I'm still up for a ride tomorrow so keep us posted. I'll work out a rough route later this evening and post it here.

James.
Here's a possible route, it is 20 miles according to mapmyride with climb height totalling 518 ft. Start at the church going anticlockwise... the very last section starting from the main Aylesham road (B2046) is downhill ;-)

resim
Will ride off some around quarter past or 1/2 3 to quarter to four. Bit vague, depends how eager I get as to how early. Will check for last minute posts otherwise won't wait. Target time is an hour and a half, expect more 2 hrs with stoppages / route checking.

[edit: note: there may be some element of fantasy to the above ride times]
The ride up to the top of the route caused me to think about cutting it short. The wind slowed down descents which should have been fast and made climbs/inclines over ploughed fields and loose straw even tougher. Missed the top bridleway and ended up in Bekesbourne.

From there decided to take a simpler route than planned by following the North Downs way all the way to the B2046. What a long straight slog across fields. Came out the wrong side of the cemetery but no big deal.

Roughly half way, the ride past Woolage Green finally got me up to a good speed. Climbing up the "Three Barrows Down" byway is the wrong direction for that particular trail.

Got up some reasonable speed along the byway from Golgotha and past Elvington and continued to end. Relief to find roads short lived by yet more hills!

By the time I'd got back on the bridleways after Nonington I was thoroughly knackered. The long incline through Snowdown... Long.  Fast and sketchy down section on other side of B2046.

Including stoppages, the ride took me 2 hours 15 minutes.

Conclusion: Not a ride to do for fun but good for improving fitness and stamina.
If you ride this regularly, pop a post in the 'rides' thread. I was going to attempt to come out on this jaunt but got kinda confused as to when the ride was taking place
"jellylegs" Wrote:If you ride this regularly, pop a post in the 'rides' thread. I was going to attempt to come out on this jaunt but got kinda confused as to when the ride was taking place

Sorry about the vague times... Never sure how organized I'll turn out to be. For instance, yesterday the printer wouldn't work so I couldn't printout the route so drew it in pencil directly onto a battered old OS explorer map.

I'm available week day afternoons every other week. Probably one or two rides per week I'm available. Usually from around 3:30pm depending on distance to start point.

James.