This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
low stack height direct mount stem and headset
hello, i have a question for anyone running either a direct mount stem compatible with 2010 boxxer teams and/or a 1 1/8-1 1/2 headset adjuster. After some sick sessions up at hopton woods and a few at penshurst I couldnt resist building up a dh bike. I am now the happy owner of an 09 bighit and a set of 2010 boxxer teams (plus a few other bits).
Here's where my question begins, the boxxers are 1 1/8 and have only 180mm of steerer tube, the bighit is tapered ( 1 1/8- 1 1/2) and has a 120mm headtube, this leaves me 60mm to play with. I've found a few direct mounts and headset adjusters that have stated stack heights and it looks like theres a few options i can go with to make it all work nicely, however many do not state heights. (i can contact the companies direct and ask). The 'smoothie' looks like a nice headset but does anyone have any experience of these or of any others and any reccommendations on a nice low stack direct mount? If anyone can tell me the actual height of the items they rate that'd be rad.
I know you all love a chance to discuss components and their relative merits  and any help would be greatly appreciated Wink
Cheers
[quote author=]hello, i have a question for anyone running either a direct mount stem compatible with 2010 boxxer teams and/or a 1 1/8-1 1/2 headset adjuster. After some sick sessions up at hopton woods and a few at penshurst I couldnt resist building up a dh bike. I am now the happy owner of an 09 bighit and a set of 2010 boxxer teams (plus a few other bits).
Here's where my question begins, the boxxers are 1 1/8 and have only 180mm of steerer tube, the bighit is tapered ( 1 1/8- 1 1/2) and has a 120mm headtube, this leaves me 60mm to play with. I've found a few direct mounts and headset adjusters that have stated stack heights and it looks like theres a few options i can go with to make it all work nicely, however many do not state heights. (i can contact the companies direct and ask). The 'smoothie' looks like a nice headset but does anyone have any experience of these or of any others and any reccommendations on a nice low stack direct mount? If anyone can tell me the actual height of the items they rate that'd be rad.
I know you all love a chance to discuss components and their relative merits  and any help would be greatly appreciated Wink

Cheers[/quote]

60mm is more than enough for it all to fit; you won't specifically need an ultra low stack height headset. I have a Nukeproof reducer headset on my Scalp which is pretty low stack though.
I had a smoothie, I damagd it somehow, it failed at the lower race but I'm not sure the correct one was supplied originally. If you can get one cheaply then go for it, I think they use roller needle type bearings instead of balls. This is apparently good.
Keep it foolish...
Cheers Treehugger and Alkali for the info. Alkali, i just had a look around to see if other people had reported similar problems and interestingly, or worryingly, there were 1 or 2 so it may be a bit of a flaw, nice 1 for the heads up. I've got my eye on a few combinations but it'd still be great to hear of any rider tried and tested combinations  Smile