This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivation and Fitness
Hi all sorry to make my first post a new thread asking for help but i am new to biking so havent had much to contribute to other threads and need help and advice and didnt have anyone else to ask.

I am 39, slightly overweight, smoked for all my adult life until quitting last year and have been a couch potato all my life. There is no way on earth i am going to be fat and unfit in my 40s so here I am. I have been cycling now for about 6 weeks. MTB when I can and road when I cant.

I have made massive strides so far including a few mountains in wales! On my first ride I felt like dying after about 500 yards. I can now cycle 20-40k fairly easily and have lost about a stone in weight and and feeling a zillion times better and my body is not even complaining. I feel like I can do so much more and it's all good except for a couple of problems which are holding me back.

1. Motivation. I sit for hours and hours sometimes willing myself to get outside and on my bike before I eventually do it - sometimes this can last a few days! Not an easy problem to solve I know but any hints to get over this would be great!

2. When I do make it out the door, I am completely shagged and out of breath fairly quickly (normally when I hit my first hill) and feel like turning round and giving up. If I push through it, after about 30 minutes I feel awesome and like I could ride hard until daylight runs out.

I love that feeling after I get through my initial problems so much but getting there is such an effort I am worried motivation malfunction is going to stop me getting any further!

Any help is extremely welcomed

Cheers
Firstly welcome to Sketchy.
What keeps me motivated to ride?  Group rides, commuteing to work and at this moment in time Strava!   I see your in North West kent, tag along with some of the members on the local rides and you will have great fun.  Also, plan your own rides and post them.
Goals will also help ie a target weight/distance.

Have fun!  
Welcome to Sketchy ECKY,

Following on from what Ady_J said really. How about entering an event like a charity ride or even some of the Bedgebury events? I have been a bit lacking in the riding hours of late but I have got an event on the horizon so I will be stepping it up a bit. No need to go serious (it's not becoming on Sketchy you know), will just give you some motivation and a target.

I also started in my late thirties, so know how you feel.

Come along to the group rides when you can,we don't bite and we are not fast. As long as you have a helmet and a sense of humour you will be welcome Smile
Ay oop Ecky, I sometimes struggle for motivation, the riding local to me is plain so I often do a street ride instead, just messing about on kerbs and steps can still be a laugh and keeps the bike clean too. Have a gander at pink bike.com for videos of mentals being super gnarly dudes, then go for a ride while you're psyched (then realise you're as ungnarly as the rest of us and have a little sulk)

I also tend to take a while to 'warm up' but after 1/2 hour or so feel great. It's not something I do, but what abOut doing a warm up routine at home before setting out? A lunge here, a pelvic thrust there, it might help out, and it'll keep the dog amused.

Welcome to sketchy, keep it up and get out on a ride soon, or once you know your area and have a good route in mind 'host' one of your own.
Keep it foolish...
Hey ECKY, welcome to the forum. I started fairly late too at 29 and took up biking just to lose a lot of weight, i was 4 stone overweight and determined not to be fat the rest of my life and thought that if i didn't do something then i never would, so getting down to a weight and size i was happy with was the main motivation for me, and i rode every evening and ate healthily. Now that i'm not a fattie any more and don't have a purpose to get out on the bike i tend to struggle a bit with motivation, especially if the weather is crap, and i don't generally like riding on my own any more, so i would definitely recommend joining us on a few group rides. We are all nice guys and won't bite, or point and laugh if you crash, (unless its really funny of course), and although it sometimes turns into a bit of a race between cirtain members, we always wait at the end of sections, and we haven't managed to lose anyone yet Wink We all just ride to have fun on our bikes and have a laugh. Keep an eye on the rides section. There is a regular Wed and Thurs evening ride at Blean and Kings Woond and sporadic rides at Bluebell Hill, usually on Tuesdays. So, get out there and say hi, i'll be the one noes diving most jumps and lying upside down in bushes :B
Welcome Smile I'm a relatively new member here too, and took up cycling for the exact same reasons as yourself; to loose weight and gain some fitness Smile I'm 9 months in now and have lost 4 stone, gained a lot of fitness, and had some good rides. I've joined in the last 2 weeks of the regular Kings Wood ride on a Thursday evening, and met a really decent bunch of people from here.

As for motivation? Try and get in to a routine maybe. I tend to try and get out most evenings as soon as I get in from work. I usually do around 15 miles on road for a quick blast, and on evenings where my better half is swimming or out with friends I'll usually do 25-30. Like you, I struggle a little for the first 5 miles or so, then loosen up and get in to it. I use Endomondo sports tracker on my iPhone to keep track of how many miles I'm doing, and how fast etc, another good self motivator. As an example I noticed a week ago that I had done about 220 miles this month, so set myself a target of 300 miles by the month end. I'm now 18 miles short of that target, and should smash it easily this week. With the weather about to turn crappy, I'd also look at investing in the right gear. Overshoes, Jersey, Jacket, Trousers etc - it aint much fun getting soaked in the first 2 minutes and riding like it for the next hour or more!

Anyway, I'll stop waffling now, but try and join one of the many group rides on here, they are great fun Smile
Welcome ecky, you've found the right place!

Motivation comes from routine for most of the time, if you enforce cycling into your daily or weekly routine it's much easier.

As for your second point, I suffer identically with that, I can hardly talk in the first few miles, but then I'm good to go. I'm sure some genius on here will explain its to do with anaerobic or aerobic crossover etc, but in simple terms, you are warming up.

I've had a massive stint away from MTB in the past year, and need the same such motivation, small strides as its easily lost.
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Welcome ecky, you've found the right place!

Motivation comes from routine for most of the time, if you enforce cycling into your daily or weekly routine it's much easier.

As for your second point, I suffer identically with that, I can hardly talk in the first few miles, but then I'm good to go. I'm sure some genius on here will explain its to do with anaerobic or aerobic crossover etc, but in simple terms, you are warming up.

I've had a massive stint away from MTB in the past year, and need the same such motivation, small strides as its easily lost.

You sound like somebody I used to ride with  Wink

Ecky - Just get out on a group ride. The riding is great fun in a group so it is much easier to motivate for. And you also get to challenge yourself against better riders.

Or get into Strava. It makes me ride faster up hills! Smile
"Blackers" Wrote:You sound like somebody I used to ride with  Wink

Can't be me mate, I only used to ride with people with normal sized wheels back then.... Wink
I forgot to say above, it also takes me ages to warm up. I've been over an hour into a ride before feeling completely looked and thinking of bailing, but then feel great and be at the front up the climbs. It's quite annoying!