This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elham Valley - Hythe end
Anyone have any good routes around the Hythe end of Elham Valley, and Hawkinge, etc?

During the railway ride from Dymchurch to Hythe, I saw some great looking hills to my left (facing Hythe) calling out to me! Then again as I drove back along Elham Valley toward Etchinghill (maybe same hills)  - it looks to be good riding around them there hills.  Looking at OS I reckon I was probably looking at the hills on which Lympe castle or Stutfall castle sits.

Brings to mind also the scenic route from Whitfield roundabout to Folkstone... Hawkinge?

I'm considering a ride this week in the afternoon starting around 4pm (if I get my ass in gear after getting home from work). Looking at OS maps, there's a lot of bridleways and byways, perhaps if anyone who knows that area could recommend POI I could link together to form a route?

Cheers,
James.
There are loads of routes that take in hythe, saltwood and seabrook. There are organised rides by Activ* in folkestone on a Thursday (fast paced and organised), a ride* from sandgate on a tuesday night (slow norris is the man for this) that varies week to week and of course there are GPX files. I have a route I tend to ride if I'm down that way - its kinda okay for a hack and is about 18 miles, if you want that file youre more than welcome to it.

The other person to talk to would be geoff - who no doubt would be able to explain a route to you turn by turn as he is quite knowledgable about the area

*please not that these rides are independently organised and have nothing to do with sketchymtb, so if you go along to one and injur yourself don't blame me or sketchymtb - the information is for reference only!
Thanks for the info. Thinking about doing a ride Friday probably by myself with a printout map of the area and just exploring a bit, if anyone offers to tag along or guide they're more than welcome! Could I take a peek at your GPX file? I want to inspect the map some more and try and work out which if any of the bridleways will give some fast downhill.
I'd say realistically that its more XC, although there is a dh spot around that area and its sandy lanes. I'm on nights otherwise I'd tag along, although I can do Thursday (as thats my day off!) if you fancy doing the 18 mile jaunt.
"jellylegs" Wrote:I'd say realistically that its more XC, although there is a dh spot around that area and its sandy lanes. I'm on nights otherwise I'd tag along, although I can do Thursday (as thats my day off!) if you fancy doing the 18 mile jaunt.

Well, my idea of down hill... let's just say it's not Down Hill... XC is a more realistic expectation for my skills.

I'd be happy changing it to Thursday if it means riding with someone who knows where they're going.  Are you sure 4pm is ok if you're on nights this week?

Thanks.
BTW... Found the GPS Info & Routes sections now.