This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cycle Rollers
Thinking about getting a set as I really need to up my fitness to keep up with the boys on  the BBH rides. I have a turbo trainer which I've used a few times but find mind numbingly boring so I thought I may have a look-see at the roller option.. Also the Whyte wont work with the Turbo because of the rear skewer or lack off in my case.
I know you can get resistance rollers & none resistance. Gleaming info from what I've read, as a beginner & just using it for fitness purposes the non-resistance ones will be more than suitable.. I know a few members use them but I cant find the threads now so I thought I'd ask again.. Any particular advice on what would be best, I dont want to spend a fortune on them incase I "no-like"
I've got a set of rollers - personally I love 'em. It came with the larger rollers which give least resistance (so I'm led to believe). Having said that I've found that having three points of contact between the bike and rollers gives a greater resistance compared to roads. Only downside to them; can't use it with a mountain bike. After having ridden a TT and these I prefer the rollers as they give a more 'realistic' feel.
I think Derek is he most frequent user of rollers on here so maybe fire him a pm. I wouldn't mind giving a set a try but they do seem expensive for what they are. Guess once you've got them youve got them though.

I'm in the market for a new turbo if you're thinking of getting rid, depending on model, noise and smoothness.
Can I ask why you cant you use them with the mountain bike  Undecided

Which ones have you got
"General Sparks" Wrote:I think Derek is he most frequent user of rollers on here so maybe fire him a pm. I wouldn't mind giving a set a try but they do seem expensive for what they are. Guess once you've got them youve got them though.

I'm in the market for a new turbo if you're thinking of getting rid, depending on model, noise and smoothness.

Ok mate I#ll bear that in mind. Paid nearly £200 for them a while back & used them probably 4 times so in very good condition. They are the ones where rubber wheels run on the rims so you dont get the normal tyre wear, also you have a handle bar mounted resistance adjuster & yes they are nice & quiet, mucher quieter than my panting when I use them  Big Grin Big Grin

Very very similar to these but in a dark blue  http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Minoura-E-RDA-80..._12090.htm
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:Can I ask why you cant you use them with the mountain bike  Undecided

Which ones have you got

I have are the Tacx Galaxia - got them 2nd hand from a fella at work who "no-like" - they were a bargain.  http://www.tacxgalaxia.com/en_home.html

The distance between the front and rear rollers only allows for the shorter wheelbase - thats all I know
"jellylegs" Wrote:I have are the Tacx Galaxia - got them 2nd hand from a fella at work who "no-like" - they were a bargain.  http://www.tacxgalaxia.com/en_home.html

The distance between the front and rear rollers only allows for the shorter wheelbase - thats all I know

I guess thats general for most of them, not a problem as I'd be using my comuter anyway
I use rollers & TT all the time.

The rollers I have are cyclops aluminium with the resistance unit (its a magnetic unit at the rear roller) settings 0 - 5, 5 hardest.

They are very good, you still have to be motivated to use them as at the end of the day your going nowhere & it all hurts.

Riding them is easy & you get a good workout for sure - I wouldnt buy any without resistance though.  I do use them with mtb also but have an old set of wheels with slicks on for that.
I have tacx Antares rollers, used in Glasgow as the weather was bad. Adjustable length and quite quiet. Will write more when not on phone
Keep it foolish...
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/rollenbanken/antares/">http://www.tacx.com/en/producten/rollenbanken/antares/</a><!-- m -->

The link above is for the Tacx Antares rollers. They have a slight concave shape to them which helps to keep you central, and after a few minutes of practice you'll find them easy and vaguely fun to use. Given an hour or so's use and you'll be comfortable to watch a film whilst using them, the balancing thing becomes natural and they do feel like you are riding a bike. Being 'non-resistance' type means that a high gear is helpful to increase the resistance, but I used mine with a 42x16 ratio (fixed) and that was fine though a little spinny.

I put mine on a camping mat, the padding is enough to remove most of the noise, though I now live in an upstairs flat and haven't used the rollers, partly due to better weather in the south but mainly 'cos I'm lazy. And also I reckon they'd be a bit loud downstairs and I like my (quite sexy) neighbours. I imagine that knobbly tyres would make a significant increase to the noise output of a set of rollers, though there is no reason that they would not work on them, the large roller creates less tyre distortion and less heat build-up than little rollers (or turbos). The length is adjustable so should fit either mtb or roadbike. Maybe even BMX?

I might sell mine if you're interested, but should check with the Gf first.

There are a few youtube vids of people falling off rollers and making a big fuss. They had suspiciously smooth legs..
Keep it foolish...