This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappy old road bike forks.
I have been looking out for a crappy old bike to use round town and for the pub etc. Finally found a cheap one on ebay and it finally arrived this morning. However it appears the front right stantion on the forks has been whacked in transit and is now about 2 inches behind the left side. Obviously this means the front wheel doesn't fit. The front wheel was in the forks  in the auction photo so I would guess it has been bent in transit.And the bike was sold as in fairly good condition and ridable  >Sad

So my question is are old road bike forks cheap and fairly standard, therefore meaning I do a deal with the bloke for a reduced cost or should I just send it back and start looking around again?  Undecided
"redwinnie" Wrote:I have been looking out for a crappy old bike to use round town and for the pub etc. Finally found a cheap one on ebay and it finally arrived this morning. However it appears the front right stantion on the forks has been whacked in transit and is now about 2 inches behind the left side. Obviously this means the front wheel doesn't fit. The front wheel was in the forks  in the auction photo so I would guess it has been bent in transit.And the bike was sold as in fairly good condition and ridable  >Sad

So my question is are old road bike forks cheap and fairly standard, therefore meaning I do a deal with the bloke for a reduced cost or should I just send it back and start looking around again?  Undecided

I bought a really nice carbon road fork, well cyclocross fork really for £25 posted, but was offered quite a few carbon road forks for around that price. (needed cyclofork because I needed brake bosses on the stanchions)
STW is your friend...write up something in the Wanted Forum
"redwinnie" Wrote:I have been looking out for a crappy old bike to use round town and for the pub etc. Finally found a cheap one on ebay and it finally arrived this morning. However it appears the front right stantion on the forks has been whacked in transit and is now about 2 inches behind the left side. Obviously this means the front wheel doesn't fit. The front wheel was in the forks  in the auction photo so I would guess it has been bent in transit.And the bike was sold as in fairly good condition and ridable  >Sad

Laggings reply maybe off the mark here as he may have missed two important words - Old & Bent.
Laggings reply will be acurate for 1 1/8" Ahead forks, but if your version of old means 1" steerer with quill stem then his rely won't help.
Need more info really.

However, if they are 1" designed for a quill stem then:
Yes they are standard.
If they are that old & are steel (test with a fridge magnet  Wink) then you can probably bend them back 8)
A pal of mine owns a scrap yard and he's always getting old frames and/wheels in (shame to see them scrapped really!), so if you have no luck with Mr tincs bending method give him a call.
Cheers guys. Been looking on ebay and there are a tonne of forks availible at sub £30 prices. I guess just a question of how much hassle it is for me and how easy the bloke is to deal with regarding taking an offer.

So far I have emailed pictures to him and suggested if was more than likely because if was dropped by the coourier on the front, but I am doubtful that there is even enough weight in the bike to do this, even though it is steel.
Pictures - you can see it had been knocked back about one inch and inwards half inch, and the wheel does not fit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
They'll bend back, easy peasy Wink
If you want a hand give me a shout.

You're more than welcome to pop in or get the fork to me via sketchy mail.
Your Aveo is chro-mo, which as tinc says, will take the stress of bending back into position with no problem. An easy way to rebend it might be to wrap it in newspaper for protection and then slip a bit of pipe over the end and give it a heave. Or just grap a hold of the end and give it a bloody good tug.

Like this:

resim

Then hold it to the light to check it's straight.

Like this:

resim

Job done.

resim
Keep it foolish...
Cheers for the replies guys. Got the bike home and used the power of grey skull to bend it back and it's seems jobs a good un. Battle cat would be proud.

Thanks for advice.