This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avid Elixir 5 set up
I've had Avid Elixir 5's on the bike since new and generally I'm quite happy with them, but every now and again for some reason they start to rub on the disk.

It's only the front brake I'm having regular problems with and I just can't work out why. I've checked the disk and it's nice and true so that shouldn't be a factor.

It could be running perfectly fine with no rubbing/noise what so ever one minute, then after an application of the brake it will rub for the rest of the ride. The only thing I can think of is that the calliper isn't staying in position.

I've tried loosening off the calliper bolts, firmly applying the brake and retightening and generally this has worked in the past. Last night though after spending a good half hour slacking off the bolts, fiddling with the washers (why are there so many anyway?) and retightening again I just couldn't stop the rubbing.

I can get the calliper centred when the bolts are lose and as I tighten these up all remains good. However when I go to finish tightening the bolts and apply the final pressure - the rubbing is back!

I have not gone as far as removing the bolts and washers from the bike, but all I can think of is that where they have been clamped for x amount of time, they have been pressed into a certain position and as I'm tightening the bolts they are moving back to that position  and seating the calliper in a poor position (if that makes any sense at all)?

Any advice appreciated!
can be sticky pistons, where dust and dirt get in. iv worked it out in the past by placing the calliper in a bowl of water with the pads out and pumping the the lever, keep pushing the pistons back in with a spanner. its also a good idea to keep an alan key in there, to stop the pistons  going all the way out, whille you do it. you dont need to do it much and it surprise me the amount of crap that came out into the water. A bit of a wipe whille you do it to.
I think Skids on the right lines man, a friend ran avids and i remember him performing a similar feat to sort his sticky pistons out, i think they are a bit temperamental sometimes but they always felt like a really banging brake after a quick service.
Agreed, sounds like a sticky piston not fully returnng and causing one of the pads to be slightly out
I had the same problem, done what was mentioned above and it solved it ... For a month or so ! Kept stripping and cleaning untill I done the following:

Step 1 : undo calliper bolts
Step 2: take brake off the bike
Step 3 : fit Shimano brakes
Step 4 : swear to never touch avid brakes again

Wink
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:I had the same problem, done what was mentioned above and it solved it ... For a month or so ! Kept stripping and cleaning untill I done the following:

Step 1 : undo calliper bolts
Step 2: take brake off the bike
Step 3 : fit Shimano brakes
Step 4 : swear to never touch avid brakes again

Wink

User error. Mine have been faultless and are still faultless 3 years later (thats 1 bleed and 2 set of pads) on the current bike.

That said I wont buy Avid's again as I like to mix it up a bit. Hope's next maybe.  Smile
"Blackers" Wrote:User error. Mine have been faultless and are still faultless 3 years later (thats 1 bleed and 2 set of pads) on the current bike.

That said I wont buy Avid's again as I like to mix it up a bit. Hope's next maybe.  Smile

Never had a problem with the shimanos or the formulas that replaced the avids!
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:Never had a problem with the shimanos or the formulas that replaced the avids!

:K) I remember fondly how your bike spent more time upside down than upright in Wales 2010!
"Blackers" Wrote::K) I remember fondly how your bike spent more time upside down than upright in Wales 2010!

Still had the avids on at that point Tongue
Thanks for the replies, at least one other person is happy with their Avids! Will give the pistons a look at the weekend whilst being very careful not to pop them out!