This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lung Capacity
does anybody know their lung capacity? I've just been tested and mine is 90 litres but I have no previous tests to compare with.
Just hope you never have to fill your lungs with petrol, will cost a fortune

But no, not a clue, how did you find that out?

EDIT - Think you should start training for a tour, Indurain had an above average capacity of 7.8 litres, so you should be able to knock him into a hat with 90 litres.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Whoa! At 90 litres your lungs are bigger than a massive rucksack.
Keep it foolish...
Indurain had a lung capacity of 8, so I am off to win some marathons. idiot doctors  :Smile
"Blackers" Wrote:Indurain had a lung capacity of 8, so I am off to win some marathons. idiot doctors  :Smile

Which bit of that surprised you?  Wink
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Gonna test mine later, exhale, blow up balloon, stick balloon in bowl full of water, catch overflowing water, measure water collected. I'm guessing less than 90L
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:Gonna test mine later, exhale, blow up balloon, stick balloon in bowl full of water, catch overflowing water, measure water collected. I'm guessing less than 90L

Eureka!
"alkali" Wrote:Gonna test mine later, exhale, blow up balloon, stick balloon in bowl full of water, catch overflowing water, measure water collected. I'm guessing less than 90L

Weigh the bowl full and after the the balloon's gone in. You're less likely to get wet Wink
I've an easier way.

Exhale
Dunk head in bath
Inhale lungful of bathwater
Spit out bathwater into measuring jug

The benefit of this is that it cuts out the mess of catching water and the balloon step.
Keep it foolish...
here's the proper way

1. Find a clear plastic bottle sufficiently large that it will exceed your likely lung capacity (for example, one of those v. large mineral water bottles) A normal adult is usually about 4 - 6 litres
2. Put in one litre of water, mark side of bottle to show 1 litre, add another litre of water and mark side of bottle to show 2 litres etc. so you have a means of measuring capacity. You could measure in smaller increments to get greater accuracy.
3. Fill bottle completely with water
4. Insert piece of tubing/hose into top of bottle
5. Invert bottle and hose in sink or bath full of water so that bottle remains full of water and hose now emerges from bottom of bottle
6. Take a deep breath and blow down tube into bottle exhaling as much air as possible
7. Exhaled air will displace water in bottle, and measurements down the side of the bottle will enable you to read how much water has been displaced. This gives you your vital capacity. (If you simply inhale and exhale normally, you will get your tidal air volume, if you inhale normally, exhale normally, and then exhale the remaining air forcibly into the tube, you will get your expiratory reserve volume).
8. Your total lung capacity is the sum of your vital capacity and the residual air volume, which is the amount of air that remains in your lungs after a forced exhalation. Residual air volume on a normal adult will be approx 1.5 litres.

I'm always wary of anyone telling me to 'invert hoes in sink' as I'm sure this counts as 'extras'
Keep it foolish...